+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Preferred thread brands

The vast majority of my tying is done with Uni thread. I also use Gudebrod, Danvilles, UTC and Orvis.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

What thread I use depends on the properties I need in the thread. For flat smooth bodies with little bulk I like Danville's 6/0 (70 denier). When tying classic wet flies I use Pearsall's Gossamer silk thread, not only for the historical value, but I like what the silk does when wet and waxed. The color changes when waxing the thread are amazing (maybe those old guys knew a thing or two) and the translucency of the silk when wet is a wonder. When dressing really small flies (size 20 and smaller) I like Gordon Griffiths 14/0.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default No strong preference---it's all pretty good stuff

I use more Danville thread than the other brands but to be really honest, it's all pretty good stuff. I haven't ever brought thread from a major manufacturer and had problems with breakage or irregular diameter or color. 8T

4. Default

Benecchi 12/0 for most of my small to medium-sized trout flies. It has the same breaking strength as 8/0 Uni thread or Danville according to those that have tested it, in a thinner diameter. I love the stuff.
    Last edited by afishinado; 08-17-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Probably 90% of the flies I have tied in the last 30 years have used Danville 6/0. I love the Bennechi 12/0 for small flies. I use UTC GSP when I need a lot of strength. I also use Danville 3/0, Uni 8/0 and a few others at times.

I mostly use 6/0 and 8/0 Uni Thread. For the smaller flies I use Bennechi 12/0 and I love it.

Smile

I have used many brands over the years including Herter's old 3 and have found that Uni 6 and 8 in about six colors have met about 90% of my needs.

Northwoods

I like unbonded thread so for regular flies it is Gudebrod 3/0, 6/0, 8/0 & 10/0 - I have a lifetime supply!

BTW - Gudebrod is alive & well but dumped the fly-tying part of their business a few years ago. Orvis thread is presently Gudebrod although I don't know for how long. Stock up on Orvis if you like Gudebrod but keep in mind the Orvis selection was never as extensive as the old Gudebrod BCS color choices.

After that it's Danville for me and Pearsalls for the spiders.

mostly use danville's 6/0 here

but like some of the other tiers i like grffiths 14/0 for small dry flies

+ Reply to Thread