Thread: SE Idaho Streams

Threaded View

Default Western Wyoming - Part 1

The Wyoming Range and the Salt River Range are so far west in Wyoming they actually belong to SE Idaho. I'm sure the citizens of Wyoming wouldn't buy that for a minute, but hopefully they have a good sense of humor about such things. After all, if it weren't for lines on a map, who would know ??

Thought I would have some time yesterday to fish the Greys River, which flows north from the Tri-Basin Divide between the Wyoming and Salt River Ranges for well over 70 miles before joining the Snake River near Alpine. Turned out I didn't have time to fish, but thought I would show some of the country and comment on fishing the Greys River. Will go back there this week for a couple days of fishing the Greys River and maybe the Smith Fork ( it's even closer to that line on the map ).

We picked Box Canyon for a hike in the Wyoming Range. Box Canyon is about 48 miles south ( upstream ) of Alpine WY on the Greys River Road. For the most part, Greys River Road is good gravel, but there are some pretty rough sections, and some washboarding along with some tight turns.

Box Canyon Creek is a major tributary to the Greys River. The west side of the Wyoming Range provides a tremendous variety of scenery to view while fishing the Greys River, as does the east side of the Salt River Range.

The Salt River Range as seen from Box Canyon.

The trail up Box Canyon offers something of everything, from lightly wooded sections with soft forest duff, to open meadow hiking, to scree fields to cross, through streamside foliage and up the ravine of the North Fork which climbs about 500' elevation in less than half a mile, finally to the meadows of Box Canyon Pass.

( Continued )
    Last edited by JohnScott; 08-17-2008 at 03:02 PM.
    The fish are always right.