So much depends on the owners personality and the proximity of other shops. Shops need to be on or near a river. I know a lot of people who think it's a nice way to make a living and get into it without much experience. They also should know well the river they are nearest, offer guided wading or float trips and have a good selection of the items anglers always need. They should also have a good knowlege of the hatches and be a good but friendly salesman/woman suggesting local variations of flies that work well on or in their water...Lots to it. Lots of hours. Lots of problems. I always visit the local shops and buy a few things even if I don't need them just to give them a little business. Plus it's nice just to get to know these folks. Weather, stream conditions and the price of gas all figure into it. I would guess the owner should start with enough money to live off of for a couple of years just in case of a bad season or two. The Beaverkill was literaly shut down several times this year because of both early season floods and an early drought where water was low and got very warm. Anyone opening a shop has to be prepared to survive a year or two if these type of conditions affect their income. Not a piece of cake by any means....Bob