DG
Where do you get off using reason?!? Bears are emotional issues and logic is off-limits!

I am in agreement with you in many ways... Right up to the paid for proficiency thoughts... I know far more individuals that shoot seriously and are NOT paid for maintaining their skills, that do so. I hunt and fish with a number of cops and many are simply borderline competent with a handgun. Annual certifications and such are no substitutions for gun looniness. One friend shoots a 500Smith and Wesson revolver better off the bench at 100 yards, than many I know can do with a rifle and irons. Under 2" groups!

My experiences differ from yours in a few ways. But I go out of my way to confront bears on a regular basis. I guided photo safaris for bears and many hunting trips. I know I have skinned over 100 bears. Two have died literally touching me and a few more have died trying. I am neither afraid of, nor disrespectful toward them. They are quick and powerful.

I also see and watch more bears in a year than most active outdoors folks will see in a lifetime. I have watched more than 100 different bears in a single week many times. Last fall I counted 26 Kodiak bears from one spot. ADF&G says there are only 150 bears in the whole unit I saw them in, BTW, and I was looking at a tiny portion of the whole unit.

Right now your chances of having an AK bear problem are greater than they have ever been. More bears and more pressure on them coupled with a paradigm shift in attitude where those in charge of the assylum believe we can all just get along. It ain't workin'! We have had several maulings so far this year including a couple last week.

I seldom carry anything. Bears have lousy poker faces. A few pointers... Most charges are bluffs. Noisey bears do NOT charge. Back out before they get quiet! Posturing, standing on hind legs, hackles raised and ears up or out are good signs. Pacing with ears back and hackles down are very bad signs; leave now! I have been bluff-charged many times to what most would consider ridiculously short range. Because the bears showed they were just nervous they got away with it. Had they put ears back it would have been very different.

As to carrying in nat'l parks, check out this information http://www.nraila.org/news/read/news....aspx?id=10651
for an update. Several important things happened this summer, especially the SCOTUS decision in Heller vs DC. The courts now hold we have a Right to self-protection and firearms ownership. That puts the fed ban on firearms into the unconstitutional range. You will soon be allowed to carry in parks, guaranteed. Contact your senator if you think it is a good idea...
art