Thread: I got a Cobb Barbeque

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Tyronefly.

It is built like a tank. You can get an all stainless model for about 20 bux more. I would bet that it will last for many years under heavy use.

It is called the Cobb after the fuel it was developed for. It was developed for use in Africa and uses dried corn cobs for fuel. They are cheap and plentiful and are the most used fuel in that part of the world. There is a no frills one that has been mass produced for the African people who can't afford much of anything.

I use Kingsford, a good quality briquette, which stays hot for about 3 hours. For a large roast after about 2 hours you should top off the 6-8 briquettes with two or three more.

I dump out the fat each time I use it so I don't have a grease fire like some people have had. snicker snicker, If you leave it sit after the cooking is over the coals will burn down to ash powder and are easily disposed of. If your out camping you can just dump the coals in the campfire.

Normand

I have a portable similar to yours, the main difference is the fuel and the fact that it has the moat you add liquid to. Cooking this way is virtually set it and forget it. The done to overdone time is quite long about 3/4 of an hour so its quite hard to over cook. If you add wine or a squirt of lime to the moat it imparts a wonderful flavor to the meat. With propane you have to watch it carefully and check it often or risk burning or over cooking the meat*. You wouldn't dare start it up and then leave it alone for 2 1/2 hours like you can with the Cobb.

I still can't quite believe I bought the darned thing without consulting the members of faol first.
    Can you say impulse buyer? My house is chock full of stuff I bought, used once and then never again. I am using my Cobb all the time and the regular BBQ is getting dusty.

Gawd I sound like a commercial.

*With Apologies to Hank Hill.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 08-09-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: none of your darn business
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!