Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
Hi All,

Reading Rick's post on filleting speed, I noticed that some of you mention that the old Rapala fillet knives were extremely good, and held a great edge.

I have a couple of the current ones, and while they will take an edge, but I don't think mine will hold one very well.

The question is which fillet knives will take and hold a great edge? How do you recognise the old Rapala knives, if you think they are really good?

Is there a really good fillet knife out there that is fairly reasonably priced?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf
I will add this to my way too long answer. Memphis Net and Twine sells a lot of different stuff for commercial fisherman even hooks and foul weather gear. Anyone can buy there and the knives they carry of all types are for commercial fish processing type places as well as anyone who may need them. So they must be pretty good for the fishing industry to be be buying them.
I do agree about carbon steel being easier to sharpen, which I like because it only takes a few licks on a stone to get it back. It does corrode like was stated, but I take pretty good care of all my knives and never had to deal with salt water either. Not all stainless is created equal that is for sure, nor is all carbon steel created equal. It is like fly rods and lines, it gets more exspensive as you get to the better grades of each.
I have several custom knives and only a few are from stainlees of any type, more are from various types of carbon steels (tool steel)that are amazing. Some will tarnish a little bit, but I've never had a crorrosion problem, but like I said I've never been near salt water with them. The price does increase greatly with these type of knives though. So I'd for sure recommend one of the others I listed or some of the others post here. Unless you want to spend the extra money on a high end knife. I'm not talking about the makers you may see in Bass Pro or Cabelas who are selling suposedly custom knives.
I was given a used 10" Dexter cheif's knife today, ( cooking being another hobby, along with eating) It's the first Dexter knife I ever had and I couldn't believe it was the day after I made my post. It appears to be a good one as well as those I mentioned earlier. Amazed me for sure.. !!!
You maybe able to go to Memphis Net and Twine by doing a search if you'd like. I sometimes still to get their catalog and enjoy looking through it. If your interested and can't find the site and would like one of their catalogs PM with a address and I'll see if I've got one around here yet and mail it to you.
I appologize again for the long post, everyone tells me I write and e-mail like I'm talking to an old friend, I hope you will take it that way.
Good luck on your seach and may you find the best one out there.
The best to you, and all.
Jesse