Fluorocarbon tippet is not just for subsurface flies. I use it on all of my dry flies as well as my nymphs and wet flies. I believe that the tippet from the fly up to about 18 inches is the most visible to the fish.

1. Fluorocarbon will be hidden far better in the water than monofilament tippet. It is well worth the extra money.

2. That extra cost is offset by the fact that you can use the fluorocarbon tippet materials for many years, until you have used it all up. With monofilament tippet, if you didn?t change it every year you could very easily loose some nice fish. Mono breaks down under UV light and there is a lot of it out there when you are fishing. Fluorocarbon does not break down.

3. Another point is that monofilament weakens the longer it is in the water. It may start off at 2 pounds but after a few hours of steady use it has absorbed a lot of water and is much weaker, hence a greater chance of loosing a fish. That does not happen with fluorocarbon.

Just for info, I really like the Rio Fluoroflex Plus tippet material. It is a lot thinner yet stronger than most other tippets.

Larry ---sagefisher---