+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing the Green Drake hatch on Skaneateles Lake

1. Default Fishing the Green Drake hatch on Skaneateles Lake

Just wondering if anyone has done this? I was thinking if giving it a go this weekend, any tips would be greatly appreciated...

Skaneatles Lake in NY? You'd better go this weekend or you might miss it completely. I'll be heading up to the Ausable in Wilmington (NY) to fish the very same hatch. I know on the river we fish long into the evenings waiting for the spinners to come lay their eggs..even fishing after dark. I'll be using Ausable Wulffs, different color Haystacks (brown, rusty orange). I don't know why a lake would be any different? I don't really know for sure...I don't fish them. If you really want to fish that hatch, I'm thinking this coming weekend will be your last shot.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

3. Default Oh Yea? This weekend??? That is what I was thinking

This weekend is what I was planning (actually it was a last minute thing) I heard that the hatch on the Lake is pretty good midday??? May have to load up the cooler and try both eh??? Either way it will be fun trying something new.....

Trust me when I tell you not to leave until evening...that's when the spinners come back to lay their eggs. I've seen the river erupt with fish at that stage...I wouldn't kid you. I don't see where the lake would be much different.
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

I read a couple of Loren Williams reports and it sounds like the fishing has been pretty good. With the way the temps have been, you may still have a shot at them. Most of the activity has been well before dark.

6. Default I read the same thing PSPaint.

I have some olive hares ears I think will be deadly??? Looking forward to trying a new experience,,,why limit yourself to just fishing at dusk? I am heading over mid morning, and hanging out untill my son loses interest, that may be by 2:00??

On the streams, around here they usually start hatching, early afternoon, so hopefully it will be the same on the SK. That way you can get into the hatch, before your son loses interest. lol.

+ Reply to Thread