+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mute Swans....

Blog Entries

Default Mute Swans....

While fishing today, I seen what I think was a swan cygnet caught up in some fishing line on shore. I cut the line and took a pic of him/her and let dive and swim away. But, again, my cam took a dunk. So when the pics come back, I'll post them to see if it was in fact a swan.

Swans are protected. And not allowed to be molested in any way. So technically, I wasn't allowed to touch it. But, I saved it. So did I break a federal law or not? Either way I don't care, I wasn't going to let it's little legs get cut up or it die from coons or coyotes etc.

Thanks,
    Shane

Cool Good for you!

You did the right thing - but you have to be very careful, some birds can create great harm on a person.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, doing the right thing and doing the legal thing are not always 100% identical. I would like to think that when those two are not in line, I will do the right thing.

You did the right thing and don't worry, he won't say anything; remember he's a Mute Swan Sorry I just couldn't resist.

Jim Smith

Good Job!

Some idiot killed a huge swan last summer on one of my favorite remote ponds.

According to a local, there were witnesses that saw some punk whack the swan in the head with a stick...punishment in the same should be OK there.

BRhof, Are you sure the fellow had any choice in the matter? Swans can be very protective of their nesting areas and are quite capable of attacking a human. We had one on a local bayou here that injured a skier and had attacked several boats before that. It turned up dead one morning and no one looked very hard for the perpetrator. I was aware of the problem going on and avoided the area but if you just learned about the attack bird the hard way a quick clubbing with whatever was handy would certainly seem like a good idea. Those things are big enough to dangerouse if you are in rowboat or float tube and can't get away.

I'm not understanding how a swan can be dangerous? I can understand the scratching and biting being pretty annoying, but I don't see how they would be life threatening unless you were around them in a dangerous area or they were carrying weapons... I've been attacked by Canada Geese before and usually a swift kick would stop them, but not kill them.

Shane I do agree that you did the right thing, but if one of these rogue swans pulls a knife on ya, you better run....

Funny
    Last edited by joerogrz; 06-09-2008 at 03:05 AM.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

I understand that they are not too hard to deal with on land. I've known a pair of geese to break an Alsatian's leg in the water and a swan is whole lot more bird than a goose. The water skier I referred to needed to be taken to the emergency room for stitches after falling in an area that the swan had claimed as it's territory. They are much better in the water than humans are.

From what I was told the swan was killed for fun but I do agree they could be dangerous if confronted. I always made a point of staying away from it when it was around.

Blog Entries

Smile Swans

I stood eye to eye with a Trumpeter Swan once, they are huge. I stand 6'4" and it was just as tall. Since they are slow to take off, Mother Nature gave them a very strong neck and pecking capability as their only form of defense. I am sure it can be very effective against predators.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

+ Reply to Thread