+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What Fly Never Works

Hmm, never. . . Well, I never catch fish on flies that have the hook point break off while I'm fishing.

A fly that you have no confidence won't generally work because you won't fish it thoroughly enough to be effective.

I think a fly that you have total confidence in will outfish the "correct" flies almost every time.

Well now that I've had some time to think about it, stink bait has never produced results for me either.

MD

On some days I have a whole fly box plumb full of flies that don't work! Hmmmm.....

[This message has been edited by Migs (edited 29 September 2005).]

I'm glad it's not just me with the wooly bugger. I still try them but they don't work for me. Thank goodness for clousers!

The one I am using.

J

This is why I think most known patterns out there with a few exceptions...(sometimes you just can't hide what your useing)......are just to put most ppl off of what we really use....There are those who truely share their secrets but I feel they are few and far between.....Just a thought.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Talking about fly effectiveness, on the Crooked River here in Central Oregon, I have found that type of fly and even color is unimportant. What is important is matching SIZE. Of course, this may be because the water is off color. Size and proper drift are the only important factors. Now on the crystal clear Metolius, tossing many things to the monsters at the bridge where one cannot fish, they mainly will only take buggy type things IN the surface film instead of things ON the surface film. Legs are VERY important. Of course, they prefer cheetos above all else.

I'm a warmwater guy, but I'll join the fun anyway.
    Add another wooly bugger jinx. I can't catch anything on them. And I keep trying.

Lux

------------------
    If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

+ Reply to Thread