+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What Fly Never Works

1. Default

Jim, I do well on LMB and SMB with Wooley Buggers. If it ain't up top, it's underneath with a WB! The novelty and irony of the thread continues....

Yep,
    The Mickey Finn !!! Got it in my box, but must say I have never caught anything on it (must be fishing in the wrong place for Mickey Finns). Do remember when I was a boy (still learning to tie) the wet fly packs at K-Mart or Wal-Mart. Some of the flies were pretty good, & some plain worthless (like the all yellow fly). Then again, I know a high mountain lake (13,000 ft. base lake)
    in Colorado where you can throw in a straight hook & the cutts & brookies will nail it (like cotton picki'n bluegills). Maybe one of these days, If I'm not too old & sucking wind to hike up that dang mountain, I'll pull out the Mickey & hook a few !!!!!

Mickey Finn for me as well!

I gave 'em all away and won't
    tie any more!

------------------
    **MW**

Boy I dont ever really recall catching a fish on artificial bait, can't believe anybody ever has. What works the best for me is I just tie a little hook on to my tippet and put some orange power bait on it or dip it with a nighcrawler and bam, every cast I catch a fish. The only way I haven't caugh a fish is with a nightcrawler that floats on the top, I tried putting some floatant on them and it never works!!! can anybody suggest me some good floatant?

I have a problem with green. One day this year I caught 3 steelhead on an olive woolly bugger I recovered from an underwater root but other than that, no streamer or nymph in green has worked for me

Perhaps its a lack of confidence feeling that I'm fishing with a piece of weed or something.

Use a syringe and fill the worm up with air. It'll **** 'em off but it's all natural AND won't leave an oil slick on the water. Careful, though, the syringe kept in your vest or fanny pack will wake you up from a good creekside nap in a hurry!
    Joe
    P.S. Tried that technique with dry flies once to float them better. It kept blowing the dubbing and the wings clean off.

[This message has been edited by Joe Billingsley (edited 27 September 2005).]

Black ants. Never a fish on any size black ant for me.

We all have our jinx fly.

For me ( as with Jim Hatch )
    It's the wooley bugger.

Does not matter what color ( combo ) or size, unweighted, lead-wrapped, or beadhead/conehead.
    Fished dead-drift, or with action, stripped
    fast or slow, stop-n-go, upstream, quartered-up, q-down, left hanging - it
    doesn't matter.

NEVER caught anything in a lake or steam on one - in fifteen years of Flyfishing.
    Yes, of course I continue to try them anyway...

------------------
    Knowledge is power ? Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
    ? Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
    The_Sib

Mickey Finn works well on sea run cutts. They love any bright color, red, yellow, orange, etc.

Glo ball because I will never use them till I see a glo ball hatch. ha ha. Light cahill have never worked for me have tried them several times never caught a fish on it.

[This message has been edited by blue gill (edited 28 September 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread