AnW:

Here's the preliminary scoop:

With the measurements provided it appears the only logical application for me with my Standard Richardson Box is to consider using TWO of the smaller inserts mounted side by side on the lid of the tray I have in mind. The larger insert is both too long and too narrow to offer a good solution. Of course if I was willing to have a C&F insert that was considerably smaller than the existing foam piece I was hoping to replace; it would be a simple matter of just yanking out the old foam, attaching one of the C&F stainless steel retaining clips available as an accessory and popping in ONE of the smaller inserts. But I don't want a smaller foam piece than I have now.

The problem with using two of the smaller inserts is while they are the right height; when you place them side by side they are also too wide for my box which means I would have to "shrink" them by about 3/16" each which also isn't a big deal except I had hoped to use those C&F stainless steel clips as a method of mounting the inserts. The clips may also require some additional clearance so possibly I'll need to cut down the inserts MORE than 3/16" each which might mean that the retaining clips may not work at all if I cut down the inserts too much. Of course while other mounting options are possible; the retaining clips are the least bulky and most flexible way to secure the C&F inserts.

In any case money (within reason) & time is no object in my quest for the "perfect" solution to my fly fishing storage problems. Other than rods & reels just about every item of tackle I own has been modified so I may just bite the bullet and buy two inserts, some clips and start experimenting.

If and when I figure this out I'll let you know what I did.