Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla 1 View Post
Thanks Spoonplugger and Panfisher. That helps me narrow down the age a bit, and Panfisher, that is exactly how it appears the ferrule is constructed. If I understand correctly, my wraps on the ferrule should be 2x the outside diameter at the female end of the ferrule, and there should be another wrap that the forward tapered end of the ferrule. I'm assuming there is no need to wrap the middle portion of the ferrule. The whole ferrule is a bit bulky looking to start with, so I'll probably do those wraps in a charcoal color to match the blank and do my guide wraps in something brighter, probably a red or kelly green.

That sounds about right, I used to place a guide right on the ferrule so the ferrule butt section wrap also wrapped one leg of the guide. I'd wrap the other leg and then I would wrap from the tip section up the slope to where the slope leveled out. That guide did sit just a little higher than the other guides but it did not seem to affect the performance at all.

The other choice is as you said - wrap both ends of the ferrule leaving the center unwrapped. Either method should work well. What is required is that both ends of the ferrule get wrapped and then epoxy to strengthen the connection of the ferrule to the blank under the stress of casting and catching.