+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synthetics Materials

Default Synthetics Materials

I know a lot of you are not real keen on synthetics material but was wondering
    if any tiers here have tried any of this Pseudo Herl or Hackle materials?

I mainly use synthetics for tying small jigs, mainly for their durability and was
    looking at these materials other day. A little on the pricey side, but was
    wondering how well they work or should I stick with natural materials ?

thx's

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Mike,

It depends on the look you're trying to acheive or perhaps better stated, the natural material you're trying to substitute. If your looking for a maribou type substitution, some of the eyelash yarns work fairly well (sort of). As far as a substitute peacock herl or rooster hackle, I don't there is any synthic that even comes close to the real thing.

If you tell us a bit more about the jigs you're tying or better yet, post a photo, then folks would be better able to share their experience/knowledge with you.

Jim Smith

Marabou, is it not some what funny the number of products that claim to be much like marabou? It is because the marabou is the king of that type material. Not sure anything moves like marabou really. If I want something like marabou then I buy marabou.

Now hair is another story. I just got some new stuff that is synthetic hair and it's growing on me. Tied a few jigs with it for bream and they love it.

Skip

Blog Entries

Smile

Plus nothing that claims to look like marabou Is as cheap as marabou or I believe acts like marabou.

Nothing comes even close to the look of real peacock herl either.
    Peacock herl is quite fragile, but properly wrapped it lasts a good while.

From the Washington state fishing regulations.

FLY A lure on which thread, feathers, hackle, or yarn cover an minimum of half of the shank of the hook. metallic colored tape, tinsel , Mylar, or bead eyes may be used as an integral part of the design of the fly pattern.

I note there is no mention of using wire or lead.

There are flies such as the copper john which flaunt the rules a tad.

Flies made of mostly artificial feather substitutes seem to me not to be quite within the letter of the law. I doubt any official would ever take a stand on the matter but it is what it is.

Dremel poppers, foam flies, also seem a little iffy under the above rules.

I also found in the WA Regulations.

If you add a single drop of attractant then your fly is no longer a fly it is bait. I'd love to see them try to prosecute that one.

"Excuse me sir may I sniff your fly." ( No pun intended )

Having said that, I should add that personally I use what ever looks good to me at the time be it artificial or natural.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

the question was more of a general(nice to know) type of question. being still fairly new to tying, I've bben exploring and researching the various type of materials out there, their usage, ..etc.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

I'm an Ice Dub fan.

Hi Skip,

what type of synthetic hair did you try out ?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Skip48 View Post
    Marabou, is it not some what funny the number of products that claim to be much like marabou? It is because the marabou is the king of that type material. Not sure anything moves like marabou really. If I want something like marabou then I buy marabou.

Now hair is another story. I just got some new stuff that is synthetic hair and it's growing on me. Tied a few jigs with it for bream and they love it.

Skip

Normand Guest

i tend to let the folks who worry about the use of synthetics do just that, worry about the use of synthetics.

i also tend to think the definitions of "fly" in most state regulation manuals are so old and outdated and should be redefined to relate what is currently being used by the fly tying world as far as materials.

I really like the pseudo hair..have not tried the other stuff...I use a lot of synthetic's...Just depends on what I'm looking to impart to the fly.

and hooks of natural steel....simply never have or will exist..It's always been a man made alloy....
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

i may be wrong but to me pseudo hackle looks like nothing more than a version of boa yarn that has a fancy name and is more expensive.

+ Reply to Thread