Shane, I would say that one of, if not the most oddest thing I've seen fishing happened back in the '80's. I was fishing with a friend in the lower Niagara River Gorge in the Devils Hole area. We were fishing with worms & sinkers. My friend reels his line in and happened to "hook" a dead, rotting rock bass. I say "hook" because he didn't actually hook it, but the bank sinker was lodged in this fishes mouth. What are the odds? Wish I had a camera with me that day.
The other happened in the upper Niagara River on Grand Island. We were catching large Sheepshead's (fresh water Drum). Again, using worms & sinkers. My brother in law leaves his pole unattended and sure enough one of these slobs pulls his entire rig into the river. Well about an hour later, one of the guy's we were fishing with "hook's" a fish. When he reels in we see that he has actually caught my brother in law's fishing pole. He pulled the once lost pole out of the water and reeled in the still hooked Sheephead.
There's been some other oddities, but those are two that will always come to my mind.
Tom.