+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marco and I are floating the S. fork of the Snake Sunday

Default Marco and I are floating the S. fork of the Snake Sunday

No Camra No witness'es ... you guys will play hell toping the story's from this trip!!!

Rich

Hey there JC et al:
    I assure you that NO worms died Sunday. Many fish WERE injured in the lip areas however.
    Based on our float trip, I've got to tell y'all we've got at least one gentlemen amongst us here on FAOL, Rich Ward. Needless to say, we were both probably apprehensive about our "blind date" meeting. At first handshake,however, all mine vanished. We were instant "buds" ready to take on the day (27 mile float) ahead. Apparently Rich had fished the S. Fork before. He knew the river like the back of his hand. Even after I told him my rowing story where I rowed under a "sweeper" and knocked my wife into the Snake, he let me row awhile. Actually entrusted me with his life. All this time, I thought I knew all I'll ever need to know about casting ( ref. my previous posts on this subject). I've floated before with people of my equal ability. Then comes Mr. Ward. THIS DUDE CAN CAST. He's was able to place his flies into a 3'-5' opening between snags fron 40' with the boat floating at about 7 mph. and the "breeze" at about 10 mph. When it came my turn to "cast" I...................
    I was humbled BUT educated. Rich even gave me a box to stuff under my armpit ( thankfully THERE) to illustrate how I SHOULD be moving my arm. So much for thinking I knew ALL about casting.
    All in all, we caught fish, we shared lies and some truths and perhaps even created a lasting friendship ( great to have a friend with a boat).

RICH: Thanks for a great time. It was great sharing a great fishing experience with you. Your kindness and generosity were appreciated and will be remembered.

Mark
    PS. Now it's back to wading and bank fishing the Snake, Salt, Greys, Green, Slough et al.

PS: Byron ( Wyo Blizzard) - WE'll "do" a coffee and maybe even fish next year. The fishin in Laramie was just a bit better than usual and that threw off the schedule. BTW, how can you stand that wind in Rock Springs?

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 20 September 2005).]

Mark;

An old saying:

"If the wind ever stopped blowing in Rock Springs, the residents would all fall over."

I have heard that all my life, and I believe it!

Thanks for the report. Glad to hear that you are traveling safe and having a good time!

Don

[This message has been edited by drolfson (edited 20 September 2005).]
    Don Rolfson

Rich probably didn't mention it, but he was the first certified Master Casting Instructor ever. That was before FFF screwed it up.
    His nick-name is "Mr. Wonderful"

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

5. Default

I'm going in 2 weeks and can't wait!

BTW-Does anybody know the name of the secret "small river" discussed [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/travel/snakeriver/:56907]here[/url:56907]? If it's anything like the description it would be fun to add to our trip itenary...

I'm not looking to 'hot-spot'-so if you are willing to share but don't want to list it publicly-you can send me an email.

Marco, it is like the trees in the Eden, Farson, area, You have a natural lean when you walk, the lean is almost always to the East.

When we get an East wind, it gets REALLY interesting!!

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard

[This message has been edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff (edited 21 September 2005).]
    Wyo-Blizzard

On the other hand, JC, Rich spoke VERY highly of you. He did mention something about a propensity for wind knots but other than that he said you were a VERY fair caster.
    Mark

I AM in Wyoming where I'd rather be.

+ Reply to Thread