+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shoal Creek

Default Shoal Creek

So today was the first day I was able to wade in Shoal Creek. I could have done it sooner, but being the broke person I am, I lack the waders to do it when it's cold.

I walked through the yard today, hoping that the creek would be warm enough to wade in. I walked by a bluebird house I built and checked up on my tenants while I was on my way to the creek. That was the first good news. The young bluebirds are getting some blue in their wings now. Hard to believe it began with five little blue eggs. Back to the fishing.....

I got to the creek and stepped in. A little cold shocked me at first, but I decided immediately that it would be bearable and the fish would definitely be biting with the water that temperature. I had a Royal Coachman tied on that I bought and started casting. I didn't get anything except a few little tugs from minnows for the first 50 yards from my yard. It picked up after that with a few small bluegill about 5 to 6 inches.

As I got down a little farther, I noticed a dead sucker fish laying on the bottom of the creek bed. Looked like it had been chewed at the tail. I had tied on WarrenP's WOW (or something similar), and cast next to some rocks under an elm that was hanging over the water and BAM! I had a good heavy strike. As I brought the fish in closer, I noticed another fish following the one I had hooked. It was a pair of Rock Bass and I had hooked one. If you haven't hooked one of these, they are fighters. I had almost had the RB up to me and it took off, straight toward the bank. I gave it no slack as it bent the tip of the 5wt rod parallel to the water. After a few more strips on the line, I had the Redeye in my hand. It was about 8-9 inches.

I held it in my hand as I unhooked it and said, "Well look at you! You're a nice one!" If it would have had eyelids and the ability to talk, it would have winked at me and said, "I know." I released it and it high-tailed it back to it's shaded spot next to the bank.

I got a few more bluegills after that and saw some nice splashes and a water snake, but the Rock Bass made it so much better. Hopefully I'll have batteries in my camera next time.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

Nice report Joe. Those Rock Bass can put up quite a scrap!!

great report joe.
    im glad your able to get some fishing in with all your studying!
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

mnk- I go fishing just about everyday right now seeing as how I was not able to register for classes this semester. For the past week though, I've been a little preoccupied with other things requiring my attention. It's picking back up now though.

As for my Laurel Hill destination this weekend... It's been canceled unfortunately. My Dad doesn't really feel up to it and I haven't got my license yet. So it's back to the creek and pond.

Just in case you're interested, I rechecked the bluebird nest today and there are 6 baby bluebirds in there. It's not easy to see inside of it, even when the front is opened up, but when I checked them out today, there were definitely six. I am making the pictures public on Flickr so everyone can see what's going on with them. Here is the link;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1168500...7604641815029/

Let me know if the link works correctly.

Joe -

Nice report on your day on Shoal Creek.

The link for the documentary worked - really enjoyed your slide show, and will be looking for updates.

John
    The fish are always right.

Joe -

We had company this morning. He was here for his breakfast. Might want to pass this on to your friends in the nest ??

John
    The fish are always right.

I'd like to see more birds like that here, but I would have a bad day if one were to raid my Bluebird nest. I saw a hawk here at the creek perched on the limb of a dead tree, eating something. There is a large field next to the creek so hopefully they'll go after the field animals and fish before they decide to go after the song birds. It bothers me enough just thinking about the cat and Screech Owls....

+ Reply to Thread