+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grip Question

Hybrid View

1. Default Grip Question

Okay, this is probably a stupid question (but at least in wouldn't be my first...).

I have a 6-wt rod that has a standard cigar grip (sometimes called a "freshwater grip"). I would prefer having a full wells grip. (It wasn't available on this rod when I bought it.) Is it possible to change the grip? And if possible, is the cost not too outrageous?

[To be clear: I'm useless mechanically, so I would be trying to find a rod builder to do this for me.]

Thanks.

Barracuda

Yes, it is possible to change grips.

In most instances, you should be able to salvage the reel seat.

As for the total cost, that depends. If you want a high or better quality grip, you will pay more. Additionally, switching out grips can be fussy work requiring mostly time and patience, if not a bit of skill. If the current grip and seat are very securely mounted, and you wish to save the seat, that may take more of the rodbuilder's time.

How much is "outrageous" may be relative to the amount of money you have in the rod and how badly you want a FW grip.

Replacing the grip is not that difficult, it does however require some significant time, and as a result can be expensive.

Here is a quick outline of what is required...hopefully it will give some insite to the costs.

1. Remove old handle. The old cork is cut off the blank with a sharp blade and sanded gently to expose the blank surface. Reel seats, winding checks and other 'rod jewelry' might come off with some heat and be re-usable, maybe not. Some winding checks, like the solid nickel silver ones need to be installed from the narrow end of the blank, meaning all the rod hardware must be removed from the butt section. A thread winding check or a black rubber style check can be installed w/o stripping the guides.

2. New cork rings are stacked and glued to the blank, clamped and allowed to cure. Depending on the shape of the blank, it might be possible to ream the I.D. of pre-made grip to fit over the butt end.

3. The cork handle is turned to shape on a small lathe.

4. The reel seat, threaded inserts and butt cap are glued into place.

5. The old guides, stripping guide, hook keeper and winding check are re-installed. Note: due to the blank taper these items must be installed in order, working from butt to tip.

6. Rod wrapping thread is used to wrap the guide feet, ferrules etc.

7. Thread wraps are coated with rod finish and placed in a rod turner to rotate until cured.

A typical high grade full wells cork grip goes for $10 to $25, cork only.
    Full kit with cork grip, reel seat and hardware runs $25 to $60, depending on the quality and finish of the components.
    Thread, adhesive sand paper, rod finish, etc. will probaly add around $30. Note: some rod makers such as R.L. Winston Co. use exceptionally high quality cork, as a small scale hobbiest I have not been able to source anything that comes close.

So you are looking at an estimate of $50 to $90 in parts plus 6-8 hours of labor (at least that's how long a non-professional like myself would need.)

That new grip could easily cost as much as a new rod! Might be better off selling the old rod and putting the money towards a new toy.

Other options? If asthetics are of less concern you might just modify the existing grip. Pieces of new cork can be glued to the handle and sanded to shape 'on the rod' without the need to disassemble stuff. End results will look like a patch, not as seamless as a new grip.

I have successfully added small pieces of wine bottle cork to an existing handle to create 'thumb rest' so it felt more like a Half Wells grip. I spent about $5 on glue and parts, about 3 hours of labor.

+ Reply to Thread