+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tippet Ring ?

Question Tippet Ring ?

I've been Fly Fishing for a little while now, but I came across something new to me. What is a tippet ring all about? I've never used one let alone seen one until today.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

if its what i'm thinking you attach your leaders end to it and then your tippet to that. supposedly they are small enough to still float with a dry fly too or so I have heard.
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

3. Default

Its to faciliate replacing tippets without affecting the leader's length. Tippets need replacing not only because they get shorter with fly changes, but the stress of fighting (large) fish will deform and weaken it. Of course nicks and other abrasions add to the list of reasons one should regularily change tippets.

I used to use very small swivels because this also reduces twist, but I found that trout would peck away at them... guess they do look like ants or other nymph.

"Tippet Rings" are usually used with Furled Leaders, since a "normal knot", per se' would be way too cumbersome if a furled leader were simply tied to a tippet, using a normal way of connecting the two pieces.
    Some, will use them I've seen with standard set ups but not too sure why one would want to!?
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default almost tried em a while back...to cheap I guess

Now available in a larger size for heavy leader/tippet! These nickel silver rings are very small, totally smooth and seamless. Their function is a connection between tippets and the leader, and they make changing or replacing tippet easy without nibbling away at the main leader. They really have caught on in Europe, especially among competitive fly fishers, because of the speed with which tippet can be changed. May be used on any leader system and are excellent for tying droppers. Though light enough to fish dry flies and midges on 7X tippets, they will handle any load your leader and tippet will bear. The 2 mm size is best for light to medium leader/tippet, and the 3 mm size is big enough for heavy freshwater and medium saltwater use. Made in England, 20 rings per package.

Starting at: $6.55
    nam

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    "Tippet Rings" are usually used with Furled Leaders, since a "normal knot", per se' would be way too cumbersome if a furled leader were simply tied to a tippet, using a normal way of connecting the two pieces.
    Some, will use them I've seen with standard set ups but not too sure why one would want to!?
    Saint Paul the wise ol' sage, guess I'm tyeing my tippet to my nice flexible leader the wrong way. I just use the looooooooops on the leader and tippet. Well lets hear it for the Island nation of Ohio again.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Blog Entries

I got a stainless steel chain that had links the correct size and from it I cup hundreds of tippet rings they work great and the cost was negligible.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Quote Originally Posted by ohiofly View Post
    Saint Paul the wise ol' sage, guess I'm tyeing my tippet to my nice flexible leader the wrong way. I just use the looooooooops on the leader and tippet. Well lets hear it for the Island nation of Ohio again.

Of COURSE, you're right, O-Fly!! My terrible, error, because I was thinking of only fishing, here, in the US and NOT the way things are done in countries like Ohio. My MOST sincere apologies!
    (you Buckeyes are still making your catfish-doughballs using a baker's stone, too, ain't ya'? Seems, like somewhere on this forum there's an entire thread on "mak'in Catfish bait", complete with recipes, pixs, suggestions and ideas!??)
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have one on a furled leader. do you loop to loop tippet the leader or do you knot it to the ring? I knotted mine but when I want to change I guess I have to cut the tipped at the knot? Feel kinda stupid about it all.
    Janus

Justice League Guest

I loop to loop mine I love it on my ferled leader

+ Reply to Thread