+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: good flies for a 3wt rod

Default good flies for a 3wt rod

I am new to a 3WT but I got me a 3wt bitch creek rod/reel combo. nice rod/reel combo for 120 some on ebay! you get backing and line and even I got a free leader thrown in. lifetime on the rod and also a free quick loop attachment thing that I was recommended against using. some liked some didn't. anyways enough about the combo.... whats some good flies and sizes of flies to use on this 3wt? I am using it for mainly gills and chubs and smaller bass that take a top bug. this is the lake erie tribs so no trout around to catch except huge steel. got my 8wt for those. any good patterns? gonna mainly use it in summer so terrestrials are good. was thinking small foam ants and spiders and beetles then some smaller dries then some smaller nymphs?
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Bead Head Adams...

never heard of a beadhead adams will have to search that recipe. I have used a regular dry fly adams and also a parachute adams before, they work great so this prolly would also. wanna hear some crazy coincidence stuff! I was reading about the adams fly awhile back and its says this. One summer day in 1922, Charles F. Adams — a Lorain, Ohio, attorney — was fishing the pond when he saw an insect that interested him, so when he returned to his hotel, he described it to local fly tier Leonard Halladay and he made it up for him... coincidence I am from Lorain, Ohio!!
    Last edited by fishaholic69; 04-13-2008 at 04:57 AM.
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

thanks jcast! I got some brown hackle for wet but only dry grizzly. wonder if it would still work with only brown?
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

I have a 3 wt i use for small brooks in tight cover and do a lot of nymphing with. The bead head adams is a great fly, i would also suggest a Dark Montreal nymph.

Fishaholic: I have a 3wt that I use mostly for warm water species. I have no qualms about using any flies from size 16 up to size 2 and have even used 2/0 with it. So I think you might want to look at some of the articles on FAOL about warmwater flies and go from there. One of my favorties is a wooly bugger.

Tim

Blog Entries

I've thrown everything from a #26 CDC midge to a 6" long string leech on 3wts. I would say avoid any fly that is actually painful to cast (as in hitting yourself in the back of the head), but aside from that...

Heavily weighted flies may cause problems casting. I see a 3wt as a smaller fly rig. So dries and small nymphs.

Although others may disagree

ya I have heard both I heard a guy laugh at me when I said I was gonna put on a size 10 hopper pattern on it. others say they can cast bugger down to 6 and now I hear down to 2/0 . thanks guys I will just go with whats working on the day and see what works. I can always learn the hard way lol. its mostly for gills and small bass so I will just use what works for um.

another question. whats the biggest fish you ever caught on a 3wt?? what if I happen to hook into a monster?
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

+ Reply to Thread