This thread is an excellent example of how easy it is to over-think this whole fly fishing thing. Now, I don't mean we shouldn't analyze the situation and make the most "realistic" (whatever that is) presentation possible. But DG's post makes a couple of good points. I've actually hooked fish (in the lip) by pulling the indicator gently from their mouths after they've inhaled it. And I've seen even the tiniest indicator seem to spook fish, too. So I'm not so sure there's a general rule to be gleaned from all of this. I think you have to watch the fish you're dealing with at that moment and then respond to what they are telling you. When I have more than one fish strike my indicator, I switch to a dry-dropper rig...or just a dry. They're telling me they're wanting to feed on the surface...that's what I think. It usually works out pretty well. If fish are shying from an indicator I try to go with a smaller one. If that doesn't work and I'm working some good fish feeding along the bottom, then I will try it with no indicator. But...in general...I catch WAY more fish using a small indicator than I do using none at all. I tend to fish long drifts with 30-60' of line on the water. The secret is all in mending properly and an indicator is the best way to control depth.

With all that said, I agree that it is sometimes very difficult to get a drag-free drift in complex currents. But I don't see it as being any MORE difficult due to the presence of a strike indicator. The fly line causes me more trouble than the indicator.

------------------
Fishing the Ozarks

[This message has been edited by SilverMallard (edited 05 February 2005).]