+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wade fishing question

I also NEVER use a stripping basket...I coil the line in my stripping hand or let it fall...maybe I would feel different if I was in crashin waves or something

I too like the minimalist approach to salt water fly fishing. I keep my flies, split shot, a couple lengths of lead core, and floats in a single accordian type check, coupon folder that I tuck in under my belt when I don't use waders and a 1/4 lb spool of 30lb test mono in my pocket. I wear my fingernail clippers around my neck with a piece of string. If I need spikes I lace them to the bottom of my sneakers. When I use waders I just throw my gear into the extra large pocket created in the top of them by my belt for salt or fresh.

I still use my old stripping basket; to keep my waders and spikes together in the back of my truck. It's more of a hinderance for me than it's worth for anything else.

Cool

up date
    i fished all day saturday with saltydancindave's strippin basket( an extra) and when i remembered to strip into the basket it was ok . then i fished all day sun with out a strippin basket and i seemed to cast better with out it . sat was on the flats with an almost slack tide sun was wadeing in the gulf with little swells coming in so i guess i can't make a decsion about strippin baskets thanks for the advice i used a fanny pack with 2 boxes of flys a roll fo leader 2 bottles of water and a hook sharpener and it worked well

Never used a stripping basket until the current in the river would pull the flyline downriver & shorten casts by hindering the shooting of the line. On the flats they help keep the weeds off the flyline, or from becoming entangled in oyster bars & a quick tug will cut the flyline. On the beach the basket keeps the flyline from dragging in the sand, over the shells & under rocks, or getting entangled in the weeds from the surf & on the beach; all of which will shorten the effectiveness of the coating & at less than 1/3rd the price of a new flyline it just might add a year or more to the flylines fishability. On a boat in the winds it will keep the flyline from tangleing on objects, going overboard when you need that extra 30' for a good cast or keep the flyline out from underfoot. Also comes in handy for a place to temporarily put the rod & reel to get a drink or for changing flies &/or tippet without dragging the reel through the sand or giving it a saltwater bath, which just creates more work in having to service the reel instead of just rinseing it off.

+ Reply to Thread