+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 52 foot long fishing rod

Blog Entries

Pars, hmmmmm, well I suppose you read my piece on shooting golfs and the conclusion I came to about it being a stupid sport? I quit after that first time without even coming within shouting distance of par. I did see some birdies but they were too small for the pot. However, on the way home, I did stop at a Pro shop because I heard that they advocate pars. I purchased a par, the golf pro said it was all par 4 at the golf meadow where we were. My wife has now learned how to par broil. I find the taste of par a bit to average for my liking. The par we got at that par 4 place was just too big and old for successful par broiling we found. This left me thinking that if we got an immature one say a #3 it would have been better than making that par 4. Yep a brace of #3s would have made you come out ahead a winner at that Par 4 place.

As for shooting Eagles it goes totally against the grain. Anyone who would shoot at Scout troop leaders is an extreme sicko and I am against it. Smack em on the forehead with a wet noodle if they get sassy but thats about it, I always sometimes almost never say, et al.

In the defence of some of those english Carp Boys I have to say that two of them were using spinning gear and regular bait. In fact the fellow who came in second was using a 10 ft browning spinning rod. I also noticed he was casting into the chum slick that the person on either side of him was flinging out.

As for it being sick. I have to say that all fish are released and thousands of people were having a lot of fun watching. There were families having picnics all around. Music was playing barbeques were in full force and no one got hurt not even the carp. Is that better or worst than catching a fish on fly gear. In my opinion it isn't.

Now Bass tournaments where the object is to get a bass quickly into the boat, playing it the least possible time, using over sized braided line so you can yank them out of the water without using a net. Plus using two or more ganged triple hooks that are yanked out of the fish with the least possible care Is not quite Ok by me.

There is nothing wrong with Regular bass fishing. Whether you keep them or release fish matters not to me either.

I have competed in Derbys for cash in the past and now regret it. I think it brings out the worst in people. I believe if you are holding a derby with "Hidden Weight prizes" you should at least have in your advertising the fact that the hidden weights are all over a certain size. This rule would prevent greedy people from killing tiny little minnows just in case.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 03-31-2008 at 07:27 PM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I have enough problems fiddling around w/the 7-9'ers with the ceiling fan going in my house! Just wouldn't be prudent.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Quote;Most contestants have three or four 20 gallon bucket full of chum/bait mixture at hand. Some fling handfulls of bait at a time." End Quote.
    Seventy Two Buckets Of Chum flying through the air? WOW!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

I'm just wondering how effective a double haul would be on a 52 foot 3 wt z axis with the new sharkskin line on it.

Blog Entries

In Taiwan we went to several "restaurants" featuring concrete swimming pools and stocked shrimp. Pay by the hour for a fshing rod and bait two tiny hooks with dried shrimp or chicken liver. Catch two at a time and you get a free beer.

The pool sharks showed up with custom rods in hard cases...

They cooked your catch to your specifications either by broiling or hidden in the kitchen out back. It was mostly very good.

The young ladies selling matches late at night is a whole 'nuther thang!
    art

Garic,

Point well taken. Obviously the local angler that I know has not mastered the technique of landing the fish quickly. That being said, I knew there had to be a reason for these rods to be developed and used, especially in countries where fishing pressure is so much greater that most places here in the U.S. Do you happen to know of any web sites that we could learn more about this technique of fishing?

Jim Smith

I'm not up on pole fishing, it is more an english thing than a scottish one, this site give a begginers guide http://www.rod-and-line.co.uk/techni...efishing.shtml I'll try to find other info for you later

thats crazy. would hate to maneuver that thing around trees on the way to the stream.
    lol. plus it would take forever to put it together and then catch a fish and take it apart. then put it back together and take it down, etc. whatever floats your boat I guess.
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fishaholic69 View Post
    thats crazy. would hate to maneuver that thing around trees on the way to the stream.
    lol. plus it would take forever to put it together and then catch a fish and take it apart. then put it back together and take it down, etc. whatever floats your boat I guess.
    It comes in sections carried in a long carry bag about 8 feet long. The sections come apart and go together quickly , you can assemble it or take it apart in less time than it takes to string a flyrod. As you project it out in front of you, you just add a section at a time. The same in reverse when bringing in a fish. You only really fish with the first two sections. The other sections are just for poking it out farther and farther into the pond till the end is 52 feet away from you. They are used in pay for fishing ponds and lakes that basicly have no trees in the way. It is actually quicker to bring in a fish with one than a conventional rod would take to bring in the same fish 50ft from shore. The elastic band ( about 10 feet or so long ) does a lot of the work tiring out the fish. Its not my cup of tea but it is a huge thing in Europe generating huge crowds and large cash prizes. They would be unusable on any body of water where there was even the slightest current. The carp they are fishing for spend their lives getting fat on the huge amount of bait flung at them every day. It is like fishing for hatchery fish in the hatchery. North americans scoff at such an idea but Europeans see it as a great way to fish. Go figure.

Think of it this way ; You are standing on the shore of the hatchery, no obsticles in your way. Your graphite pole is 52 foot long the end of it is 52 feet out in the water it doesn't sink because of floatation in its hollow core. You get a fish on, You pull the pole hand over hand till the last 10 feet is reached. You quickly seperate this section of the pole and the 42 foot part is no longer in play. the ten foot part is now your rod. It is hollow with about 6 - 8 feet of surgical elastic in the hollow part. The elastic is attached to your 5 foot leader which is attached to the 3 foot tippet . The elastic is keeping the carp from getting a really solid yank that would break your line. You with the aid of the elastic is tiring the Carp very quickly. when its ready you use a net with a 12 foot handle to capture it .
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 04-01-2008 at 06:36 PM.

these guys think big. big fish, big pole, big net. haha
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

+ Reply to Thread