BLL

I think that would be an interesting thread to start. I am not aware of any but a few hardy winter shore casters who fly fish for steelhead any other way than fishing for spawning fish. There are big boat people who drag them out of the lake on trolling tackle with 30 # line but I don't consider that fly fishing.

Now some will say they only fish the holes and not the redds but those are spawning fish too - or will be. Spawned out fish beat it back to the lake and seldom even look back at any fly. Read this book: http://www.hatofmichigan.org/uploads...lies_ebook.pdf
It is my story of flyfishing for steelhead (and other stuff too). Believe me, when you have 12 pounds of steelhead on a six pound leader in a small river with a 3 MPH current, you are not wading in and grabbing him by the tail. He is the boss and you will need every ounce of skill and luck you have to land him - let alone hook him.

As for salmon, I don't fish them much. There are times when I wish they hadn't been planted but that is just my opinion which is probably wrong anyway. I just don't happen to fish them.

One of the strongest arguments against fishing steelhead is that 35 degree water temp and 30 degree air temp doesn't appeal to a lot of anglers. But then, that's what keeps the crowds down.

And anyone who could wade in and grab a steelhead by the tail is a heck of a lot more physical than any man I have ever met.

My $.02.

Would make a nice thread.

Godspeed,

Bob Bolton