+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tulip Fabric Paint

Hybrid View

Bill, trying out different ways to make the eye's out of sequins. I am using holographic sequins and filling them with acrylic paint or tulip clear paint. Aether one takes a while to dry, but comes out well. Have to apply more than one coat to build them up.

Tony
    Keep Flyin & Tyin

Again Thanks, for this info..Looks as though I'll be saving a ton O the cash on eyes..I use the epoxy type on everything..Fishy!..Also glad to hear they have a clear, had not seen anything mentioned of that, Guess a google to find their site is now in order!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Bill, I am now trying 30 min. epoxy to fill the cavity of the sequins.
    Do not use 5 min. epoxy, it will yellow in time. Using epoxy, give the eye's a better dome effect. I believe this is the way they are made. As soon as I get this thing down pat, I will let you know. I purchased a variety pack of 800 5mm sequins, at JoAnns Fabrics for .79 cents. The holographic sequins are outstanding that come in the package.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony.A; 03-20-2008 at 04:32 AM.
    Keep Flyin & Tyin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.A View Post
    Bill, I am now trying 30 min. epoxy to fill the cavity of the sequins.
    Do not use 5 min. epoxy, it will yellow in time. Using epoxy, give the eye's a better dome effect. I believe this is the way they are made. As soon as I get this thing down pat, I will let you know. I purchased a variety pack of 5mm sequins, at JoAnns Fabrics for .79 cents. The holographic sequins are outstanding that come in the package.

Tony
    think it would work with hot glue?

DDR, I think that Hot glue would be very hard to control, trying to put it on a 5mm sequin. I do not believe clear hot glue is as clear as epoxy. I could be wrong on this. Try it out and let us know your thoughts on this. I know when I use hot glue it gets real messy.

Tony
    Keep Flyin & Tyin

Ok, Who ever is interested. I start out, using a flat surface that has a softness to it such as closed cell foam that is about 1/4 in thick. I use a rectangular piece about six inches x 3 inches. I then use masking tape over the foam reversed, and secure the ends to the bottom side of the closed cell foam. I then place my sequins in a line, cup side up. I then use a small diameter straw, like a straw used for stirring coffee, to push the sequin flat on the tape. The foam gives as you seat the sequin into it and the tape holds it firm. Then I use the head of a strait pin and fill the small hole in the sequin with tulip. Be sure to fill the hole only. Filling the hole stops the paint [next step] from leaking out of the hole. I use acrylic paint to make a pupal in the center with the head of the strait pin and let it dry a while. I then fill the sequin with 30 min. epoxy, enough to give it a dome effect, but not running over. I use a tooth pick to apply the epoxy.Let the eye's dry over night to harden, That's it. The eye's come out great. As soon as I can I will try to take a picture of some and put them in this thread.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony.A; 03-20-2008 at 04:40 AM.
    Keep Flyin & Tyin

Blog Entries

Tony A
    well, i tried it with the hot glue. the results are not very pleasant. i got the hang of it, but it is very difficult to work with. and the glue is not very clear. im probably gonna go try the 30 min. epoxy now...

Well here is the picture I promised.

Tony
    Keep Flyin & Tyin

+ Reply to Thread