This question puzzles me. I have tied for a number of years and hang with a number of good tiers who also use rotary vises. IMO there are only five steps to consider.
1) Ensure the shank of the hook is on the rotating axis by adjusting the jaws in the jaw bracket and appropriate placement of the hook in the jaws.
2) Ensure the bobbin holder is at the same level as the hook shank and about 1/2-inch in front of the hook eye.
3) Tie in the material; wrap the thread toward the eye and FORM a half hitch to ensure the thread doesn't come unraveled when rotating the vise ? put the thread over the bobbin/thread holder and let it hang.
4) Hold the material in the right hand (I presume) and rotate the vise 'counter clockwise' enough times to apply the wraps of material needed.
5) Proceed to tie off the material 'as usual'.
Refinements will occur with practice, like turning the hook 90 degrees (shank near you) which for me makes it easier to wrap the thread base - but each to his own. You can also position the hook likewise for wrapping parachute hackle with the post facing you.
You can also make a little 'table' and use the rotary vise to assist in making dubbing brushes, but this plan is rather exotic.
I guess I look at it as play and once the five steps I have mentioned become second nature (in about 2 hours) the rest is just experimentation and play with the concept that the hook shank/top can easily be positioned. Am I missing something here which is extraordinary about using a rotary vise?