Well.. my .02 would be to go out and buy one of the cheap TFO rods in n 8wt. They cost about $75. Then get the reel of your choice. When I went to Belize last, my dad used an inexpensive Okuma reel and did just fine. I really can't think of a better situation for the "inexpensive outfit." Later, if you really like fishing the salt, you can always upgrade. I own a few TFO rods, as well as a bunch of "premium" rods in both graphite and cane. The TFO casts a lot better than you would expect, at that price point. For a rod that you could conceivably only use once or twice a year, I don't think you can go wrong with TFO.

That being said, if you are the type who likes to have top notch gear right from the start, you can't go wrong with a Sage Xi2 and a Ross Canyon reel. I use this outfit, and am perfectly happy. Is it worth the extra 800 bucks over the TFO and the Okuma: not a chance.

If you decide to split the difference, then just get a good reel. A lot of people swear by Abels, but I don't own any of their larger reels so I can't speak to them. I like the Ross, though, and have no complaints. You can always use it for salmon, steelhead or whatever other larger species you should pursue.

[This message has been edited by Jordan (edited 03 September 2005).]