+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sythetic Pioneers

Default Sythetic Pioneers

Hi all,

New here and I have a burning question I'm sure you can all help me out with. Who would you consider the true pioneers of synthetic fly tying? I once read a book that talked about this...particularly a guy who would use old wigs and stuff like that. Any idea who that might have been?

Looking forward to talking fly fishing with every one

The Bugger,

I am going to tag along on this and see the interesting information that pops up.

I would like to take this time to welcome you to the best fly fishing site going. Cruise the menu and look FAOL over. Tons of information here and it is all good. Don't be afraid to post questions and join in on some of the other posts. Great group here and they are all willing to share plus the Administrators (JC and LF) are two of the finest people you ever want to meet and they run a tight ship here. As long as you wipe your feet before entering their home, everything will be great. Thanks to their efforts, FAOL is a site that you can allow your children or grand children to view and not worry.

Welcome
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

What do you consider a synthetic?

Hook?
    Thread?
    Monofilament?

You may be thinking of Potts. The Potts weave. He made wigs etc. Not sure what 'synthetics' he may have used tho,,,

It's generally accepted that Bob Pop is the father of epoxy flies , but Harry Spear's Mother of Epoxy came long before the Surf Candy.

Tim Borski did a lot of the early craft hair flies

Chico Fernandez was one of the first to tie with Fishair and his Glass Minnow was an early all mylar fly
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Normand Guest

john betts would be high on that list

does zlon, microbibbets, zingwing come to mind??

scott sanchez is some kind of foam guru

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Bugger View Post
    I once read a book that talked about this...particularly a guy who would use old wigs and stuff like that. Any idea who that might have been?
    didnt it say who it was in the book???

Another vote for John Betts!

His is the first name I always think of when it comes to synthetics.

How 'bout Gary LaFontaine?
    I don't think there be zlon without Gary's experiments with trilobal yarn
    Gary first wrote about his "Dazzle yarn" flies in our club newsletter in 1973, long before Caddisflies was published eight years later
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

JC; When you mentioned "Pott", it rang a bell and you were right on! Except, evidently he used horse hair, when tying and not any synthetics.

From the pages of "Fly Fishing: A History"

Franz Pott was a wig maker who came from Missoula Montana USA, and the period we are looking at is the 1920s and 1930s. He used his wig making skills to fashion the bodies and hackles of flies from hair, usually horse hair. Eventually he developed quite a range of woven patterns which were marketed under the title 'Mite' and 'Mighty Mite'

Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread