Thread: Reel Seat Question

Threaded View

I don't intend to contradict my esteemed colleague Tampa Jim, but 3/4" masking tape with a 3/8" +/- gap between each wrapping is the usual and customary method of building up the blank to accommodate the reel seat. Poly and graphite arbors are very nice if you have them, but most people don't think to order them with their other components until they become more seasoned at rod building. I don't fully understand the analogy of an overnight stay in a glass of water for the masking tape, but I'm sure there was a point there to be made. If installed properly, the masking tape is fully encased in epoxy when the reel seat is installed.

If you have the Tradition II kit from H&H, then you must simply read the directions on the cover sleeve which states in paragraph 3 under Step 2 - Installing Grips and Reel Seat:

"Now you install the reel seat. The first step is to install masking tape to be used as shims. Do not cover the entire area; wrap approximately two thirds of the area to be covered by the reel seat." Continue to read on, because there are other important things you need to do so you can have a good job at the end, like masking off the threads on the rel seat so you don't get epoxy on them.

There are different ways of doing things, but if you have a manufacturers directions to work from, then, at a minimum, you should do that to protect your warranty.

I have the Flex Coat DVD if you would like to borrow it. It gives details on building the entire rod.

Have a great build, and be sure to take some pictures for us.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Valencic; 03-07-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains