+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Okuma sierra 5/6 question.

Hybrid View

Default Okuma sierra 5/6 question.

I have one and haven't fished yet. The drag seems to be all , almost all, or nothing on mine. I'm not complaining just wondering if this is how they are. Not a lot of precise fine tuning on the drag?
    Janus

Blog Entries

Default Yep thats it

Yep, I have the exact same model and it is the same way. Not very fine tuneable and it easily slips out of adjustment with one bump of the finger.

On a side note, If the super loud click bugs you, (It bugged me, You can here it half way across the lake with a fish on) so take off the spool, and you will see a little triangle with a screw in the middle. Take out that screw and remove the triangle. Now put the screw back in. Now it is a totally silent reel.

Hope it helps. (If you need better explanation I can get the reel and do a step by step to take off the click if you want)
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

I have the same thing on one of my three Sierras. The other two are fine. I suspect there might be a way to fix it but haven't taken the time to study it yet.

When it becomes important (or annoying enough) I'll likely do dome research.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

mine works great. email okuma and ask them. i bet they replace it.

I have one in the box that I haven't used. They get good review for that price point and they were much cheaper than buying a spare spool for my other reel so it is a back up reel.

Some manufacturer's have a way of adjusting the range of the drag. You can adjust it internally and then the external drag nob adjusts the drag within that range. I hope that I made sense. I'm not sure if this reel has that option though. I agree, call Okuma, BUT let us know what you found out.

Rick

Basically I set the drag at nearly nothing and use my hands as the drag. IMHO a drag is useless on a fly reel for small fish.

+ Reply to Thread