+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What destroys most fly rods?

Blog Entries

Exclamation What destroys most fly rods?

No its not car doors or the tail gate on your truck. Its not even from falling on your patoot.

For the surprising answer We turn to an old friend who really knew his stuff.

Perhaps this will save someone's favorite fly rod.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac050602.php

You will find the answer in Error #1

Surprised? Me too. hoo wood a thunk it.

For more flyfish wisdom from AL Campbell go to the home page. Click on features, click on Al Campbell . Pick a topic and read on. Super interesting stuff.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Default Wax those ferrules

I would add keeping the ferrules waxed to that list. While it hasn't "broken" per se, my first rod, a cheaper model at least, that I wasn't diligent about keeping the ferrules waxed, has started to split on the female ends, and has a tendency to cast half the rod now and again, if I forget to cinch it down once in a while. One of these days, one that one junction will go snap!

Add clousers and split shot as well as bead heads!!!!!

One other handling thing that totally amazes is how many guys "throw" their $500 plus fly rods into the boat or vehicle like they were $20 Ugly Sticks!!

Guy

I can add to the list also.
    In the tropics while fishing for Bonefish & Permit, most rods are broken by the ceiling fans in the lodges guest rooms. Not out on the water. Folks are in a hurry to make the boat ramp and have the rods assembled in their rooms and forget all about the fans. SNAP !!!
    FFF Life Member #22

Car Doors Side and Rear, and unfortunately . Your Best friend if you lay your rod on the ground. Jax

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Have to agree with DickM!

The ceiling fans get my vote for the great fly rod eater. Most houses in SC have one of these monsters per room and if you move incautiously around the house, your fly rod will detect the room with the ceiling fan running. 8T

Attempting to show off to your buddies by demonstrating your best double haul without the ferrules pushed together all the way will also break it, and your ego, and your buddies sides while they laugh at you.

Default Iced Guides

Flicking ice off your guides in not a good idea. I was in a shop when a guy brought his rod in for repair and he stated he was flicking the ice off the guides and flicked the tip off the rod.
    I just stick the rod in the water or let the warmth from my finger melt the ice.

Jet

Red face

I am surprised we haven't heard from JC on this one. One of the top causes of breaking fly rods is stinging the rod. It happens when running the line through the guides in a hurry and pulling the line through the guides with too much force. The knot between the leader and fly line gets caught on one of the guides and "snap".

The most unusual case of a broken rod I experienced was when my wife left her fly rod, fully lined, against the wall in our entry way with the near invisible leader and tippet on the floor. She had been practicing her casting in the yard. Along came someone with the vacuum cleaner and sucked the fine tippet and line into the vacuum, snapping the rod into several pieces before we knew what happened. It was ugly.

Dr Bob

Default Imho

Having worked in a very busy shop for almost ten years, and dealing with hundreds of broken rods, I'd suggest a couple of different things. Anglers sometimes have a tendency to slide their reel hand onto the blank, well above the grip. Most often, they do this when snagged or fighting a fish. The change in pressure sometimes results in a break. I've also seen many rods, which were broken when being strung up. Anglers try sliding their line through the tip while putting a deep flex in the tip of the rod. The leader/line connection catches, and the result is a break somewhere in the upper foot of the rod.

Mike D.
    http://battenkill.tripod.com

+ Reply to Thread