+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Expensive rods VS cheaper rods

I don't have any high end rods, in fact the most I've ever shelled out for a rod was $150...for a Fenwick
    I fish mostly vintage glass in fresh water, home rolled graphite in the salt.

I was at a casting clinic with Bob Clouser last week. He asked the group, "Who here can cast 80' ?" Only three of us, out of maybe 25, raised our hands (no one raised a hand at 90' ). My fishing partner, myself, and a third gentlemen.
    I don't know about the third gentleman, but I know what my partner fishes, and there's no high end rod (except his home built cane) in the bunch.
    Buy what you what, use what you want, but it's not the rod that makes the difference
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Default 2006 Wisconsin Opener

Got out of the vehicle. My bud was bragging on the way there about the sweet rod his wife bought him. Can't remember if it was a Winston or Schroeder. It was bamboo and if i remember it right he said it costed $3,000. I questioned his choice of a 3 weight on snag ridden... corner filled...large brown haven.

20 minutes in to our fish he lost a massive brown that alligatored his leader. He said it was bigger than most steelhead he caught. The hole behind him is where the gator lives. Photo was after leader bitten off clean.

He went back to the truck and brought his ebay special 5/6 weight. 3,000 versus 65 on ebay...

6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Use proper tool for the job I always say.
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer View Post
    I said this on a previous post. I had a rod I thought was Ok. I wasn't that good a caster. I was still in the multiple wind knot stage. I Went to a fish in and cast a Winston. I loved it. I didn't know it was a mondo bux rod at the time. I even forgot to ask the owner what kind it was. I found out in chat that it was a winston and what type it was. Man I wanted that rod. I then lucked into a Middle of the road priced sage at a clearance sale when the flyshop closed its doors. Man it cast so similar to that Winston that I still can't tell the difference. I didn't even know that it was a sage at first cause I didn't look at the brand I looked at the price. I didn't even try the more expensive ones cause I couldn't afford them. I took both my 5wt rods to the park and realized that my original rod just wasn't working for me. The new sage just felt alive in my hands. I really cast better with the sage. I was just going to give my old rod away thinking what a piece of junk. One of my buddies who can really cast by the way, picked it up and tried it. He said Sweeeeeettt rod. I said really? Thinking perhaps he was kidding. Nope he really liked it. Another friend who was there at the time tried it out and liked it as well. I said if you guys like it you can have it. They fought over who would get it finally decided by rock paper sissors.
    I had just the two 5 wts so when JC wrote his article about the SA combo in wal mart I bought one of those for my son. I really liked the way it casts so I got one for myself. I like it as well as the sage and it is only a $70.00 combo line, backing, reel, leader and 4 flies.
    I still want that winston but sure don't need it.

I guess some rods just don't fit you and some do. Price is not the criteria to go by.

Did I mention I still want that winston?

Nighthawk I checked out that Gremlin rod.

The rod is now on sale for $17.95 Seemed like a good deal but The shipping on a $18.00 rod to canada is $23.00 . I have had tons of stuff shipped x the border and trust me on this one my friend that shipping is a rip-off.
    For example Cabellas sent me spinning rod and reel for $4.00 shipping.
    My bad. I was thinking as a U.S. citizen. His shipping is a little high for domestic but he was cheaper than any other dealer enough to offset the shipping in the U.S.A. I order a lot of stuff from Cabela's and did not think anyone could out do their packing until I ordered from Gremlin Fishing. Dang near bullet proof!

Interesting how this subject pops up every so often. Some years back, I was having problems with caster's elbow. I attributed to the amount of tip bounce, or lack of dampening that the rod I was using exhibited. The rod was one I bought from a shop in Denver back in 1990 and although on the lower end, was made by a well known rod manufacturer.

Then someone was kind enough to send me a Gatti 9' 5 wt 3 pc. The first time I picked this rod up I could instantly tell the difference. Not just in how the tip dampened out but in lightness and most importantly the way it cast.

While I didn't buy a Gatti, I didn't buy that Gatti, a couple of years later, I was working part time at a local Scheels and used my employee discount to a Scott G.

There are allot of good rods out there. I own a few that are down in the $100 - $200 range. And there is allot of junk out there as well. Can you cast and catch fish with them? You bet. But until you have the opportunity to cast and fish with a top end rod, well................
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Default reply to thread

if you know a good rod builder that you trust-thats the way to go-he will build the rod with you and the way you cast and for the fishing you will use it for and save you $$ compared to one off the rack??

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

Quote Originally Posted by spinner1 View Post
    My bud was bragging on the way there about the sweet rod his wife bought him. Can't remember if it was a Winston or Schroeder. It was bamboo and if i remember it right he said it costed $3,000. I.
    Spinner,

Did his wife use her money to buy the rod or his?

As long as you don't presume a fly rod is anything more than a tool, then it's about your budget and preference. A fly rod is an extension of your ability as a flyfisher.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

Default My bud is married

My bud is married to a A#1 Chicago Attorney. Was funny to watch his knees shake as he talked about the trout. He was using a big soft hackled bi-bugger and bringing across. It rolled at the fly three times before it hit/bit/ran all in one second.
    He told me he actually considered running back to the car to get 5/6 before it abused.
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Thanks guys, its good to hear all you comments. Its also nice to see the lack of people trying to convince each other on what rod to buy/use. I share most of your sentiments in the sense that you should buy what you can afford and what feels right for you in that price range.

There is hovever a hugh difference in prices in SA compared to the USA(or so it seems) Low cost rods here is about $80 (your money, R600 our money) which is getting expensive for most people here relatively speaking. Im not talking about the "starter kits" with rod, reel and line included, but stand alone rods.

I think new people to this pas time of ours thinks long and hard before they get into FF. I know when I started FF I was all eager to go to the shops and buy buy buy. Until I saw the prices of some rods. Geez I could get 3 normal bass/ rock and surf rods for the price of one FF rod. Never mind the reel and line. You guys should realy consider yourself's fortunate that you have such wide selections to choose from.

Morneb,
    I've always felt that when the trout start biting the rod tip mine will be in the $ 10,000 range. Till then I'll be satisfied with what I currently own. Now, don't make me go upstairs to check the labels ( I know there's an Orvis up there. A green one)

Mark

+ Reply to Thread