Thread: Expensive rods VS cheaper rods

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I said this on a previous post. I had a rod I thought was Ok. I wasn't that good a caster. I was still in the multiple wind knot stage. I Went to a fish in and cast a Winston. I loved it. I didn't know it was a mondo bux rod at the time. I even forgot to ask the owner what kind it was. I found out in chat that it was a winston and what type it was. Man I wanted that rod. I then lucked into a Middle of the road priced sage at a clearance sale when the flyshop closed its doors. Man it cast so similar to that Winston that I still can't tell the difference. I didn't even know that it was a sage at first cause I didn't look at the brand I looked at the price. I didn't even try the more expensive ones cause I couldn't afford them. I took both my 5wt rods to the park and realized that my original rod just wasn't working for me. The new sage just felt alive in my hands. I really cast better with the sage. I was just going to give my old rod away thinking what a piece of junk. One of my buddies who can really cast by the way, picked it up and tried it. He said Sweeeeeettt rod. I said really? Thinking perhaps he was kidding. Nope he really liked it. Another friend who was there at the time tried it out and liked it as well. I said if you guys like it you can have it. They fought over who would get it finally decided by rock paper sissors.
    I had just the two 5 wts so when JC wrote his article about the SA combo in wal mart I bought one of those for my son. I really liked the way it casts so I got one for myself. I like it as well as the sage and it is only a $70.00 combo line, backing, reel, leader and 4 flies.
    I still want that winston but sure don't need it.

I guess some rods just don't fit you and some do. Price is not the criteria to go by.

Did I mention I still want that winston?

Nighthawk I checked out that Gremlin rod.

The rod is now on sale for $17.95 Seemed like a good deal but The shipping on a $18.00 rod to canada is $23.00 . I have had tons of stuff shipped x the border and trust me on this one my friend that shipping is a rip-off.
    For example Cabellas sent me spinning rod and reel for $4.00 shipping.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 02-15-2008 at 09:10 AM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!