Thread: Expensive rods VS cheaper rods

Threaded View

My favorite brand is the one I am fishing.

Facts: I have or have had 37 fly rods ranging from 3wt to 12wt from 11 different brands. I have fished and cast even more rods. These rods have had manufacturer's retail values ranging from $20 to $650 USD. I can be found on local waters with a $60 rod and a $500 rod both rigged and in use as I switch between them. I have liked most of them, sold the others that I did not like as much.

My opinion: The cost of a rod or a label doesn't mean anything to me. I do not feel that there is any intrinsic superiority or inferiority based on the name on the rod or the price, the more money usually means a product with better components and some improved in performance, but not always. My more expensive rods usually perform better than my less expensive rods, but the difference is not linear with respect to cost, and is some cases those differences only come into play in limited situations.

And other people can have opinions different than mine, or even declare that I am wrong in my preferences, but that is their opinion and I do not have to take owner ship. Most people out there in internet land don't know me well enough judge whether my opinion is based on experience or speculation. Nor do I know most people out there well enough to make the same judgment of their opinions.

I have learned lots of things by listening to other's opinions though, whether I agree with them or not.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 02-15-2008 at 04:47 AM.