Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle reel testing

Blog Entries

Default Motorcycle reel testing

A interesting test of the Orvis Vortex VO2

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ersKFd-4d7k&feature=related

and the after results:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=tdssQeA6nxA&feature=related

It was the only reel that didn't do well They are testing them at "bonefish speed" of 23MPH.
    Might wanna look at the other related videos, and see if they tested your reel, cool stuff.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Exclamation

Interesting video. What I didn't see and it suprised me is they did not use a scale to make all the reels have the same amount of drag on them. If you crank on the drag on one reel way up then 1/2 as much on the next one your results will differ. I learned all I know about this kind of thing from watching Mythbusters. Which makes me an expert.*

*Expert = X is the unknown quantity and spurt is just a drip under pressure.

PS I would guess he just went by feel each time. But it was also curious that the only reel Where he had water standing by was the one that smoked.

I'm also willing to bet that the cheapo no-name brand of reel I use would fly apart before it got hot enough to smoke.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 02-09-2008 at 11:02 PM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Blog Entries

Gnu, in the other videos of reels I watched get tested he had the water bottle sitting on the ground or in his other hand just out of the camera view.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Interesting. Note the host say he has the drag pretty cranked up. I don't think you would normally fish for bonefish with the drag cranked up pretty far. Even if you did, the drag will slow the bonefish, but a gasoline powered machine that outweighs any bonefish by several hundred pounds is not going to be slowed one bit due to its advantage in mass.

Even with fishing for large bluewater species, you rarely start with the drag cranked down, you increase pressure after the first run(s) when the fish has tired some.

Default Fair test ??

Hey GBF,
    Since I didn't see any other reels tests, I can't assume there was no drag " standard". BUT, if there WAS no "standard, the test was meaningless. I would think ANY reel would "smoke" under some severe circumstances.

Mark

Scene in NY diner: Diner waitress: "Wanna shake with that burger?- Customer, Jeeves:" No, I think I'll just sit here quietly, thank you ."

Jeeves of Jeeves and Wooster

Hmmmmmmmm, I don't know, if I'm MORE impressed with the interesting vids, OR............. learning the fact, that Gnu-Bee is an "expert"!?!
    Of course, I already knew that G-B KNEW EVERYTHING, because he's told me so, 9 or 10 times, now. But to know everything AND to be an EXPERT along with it........... wow, I'm impressed my friend!! Really, really, impressed!!

Thanks, F-1, for the neat videos! It's nice to know, that a few of my reels can withstand a surprise "Vespa hatch", should I ever encounter one!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Okay, that was funny but I kind of expected the see the bike jerk the rod and reel out of his hands. If somebody hooked my Harley I'd be the proud owner of a skinned up rod and a burned out reel. I wouldn't stop until the gas tank ran dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hey GBF,
    Since I didn't see any other reels tests, I can't assume there was no drag " standard". BUT, if there WAS no "standard, the test was meaningless.
    Are there ANY standards in fly fishing equipment? I have read that rod wt ratings cannot be trusted except by testing the blank using the "Common Cents System," which will often show that the blank is heavier/lighter than labeled. Reels cannot be much different, especially if designing to not infringe on an existing patent.

Mama told all us kids; "Don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see." That's always been pretty good advice for me.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Default "standards"

Joe,
    I was referring to standards ( probably wrong word), and I realize that I didn't make it clear, ONLY as they pertained to THIS test. Some device to measure that all reels tested were set at the same resistance level. Something to assure that all reels were tested with the same yardstick and fairly.

Mark

Anybody got the address for Mythbusters? Those two would have a ball with this one!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread