I learned a trick recently from a guy in my fly fishing club. He refered to it as "archer casting". I immediately thaught he was refering to bow fishing, but he then demonstrated a cast. If you practice it, I guess you can get pretty accurate. The technique is as follows:

pull off desired amount of line and leader from the reel (perhaps 10-12 feet beyond the end of the rod). Grab the fly by the hook with a forceps or needle nose fishing pliers or gently pinch a section of tippet ahaed of the fly. Extend the rod outward and point it to the the target area for your cast. Of course you should not bend the rod hard over, but let it load up a little tension and release the leader.

I haven't tried this method in a fishing scenario yet. Hower it is supposed to be used for small brushy streams where there is no way to aerialize any line for a cast. I think I will still prefer the roll cast or simply dangling my fly, but this may be worth investigating for these small streams with wild trout that are brushed over.