+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening and Crimping

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Sharpening and Crimping

I didnt want to hijack the thread on Mustad hooks people there are talking about the sharpest hook.

It seems that when I get done crimping down the barb, I have to sharpen it, no matter what hook I am using. I use a technique of crimping with small non serated needle nose pliers from the point end. (not from the side) I read some where that if you do it this way you break less hooks.

I then automaticly grab the fingernail file and give it a quick touch up in a diamond patern. I guess I would rather know that the hook is sharp than test each one on my thumb nail.

I mostely tie small hooks (size 10 and smaller) is it different with bigger hooks? is there a better way? I know some use there vice but mine is slow to adjust and I would rather use the pliers.

Any comments, hints, techniques?

Eric

Eric,

I check every hook for sharpness before smashing the barb and placing it in the vise. If I find a hook that slides across my fingernail I just use a ceramic hook sharpener. I smash the barb from the side using a Tiemco barb plier. I have never broken a hook point smashing a bard from the side and since it does not touch the point the hook remains sharp.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Smile Barbless

Eric,

I keep a pair of Dr. Slick Forceps (smooth jaws) at my tying table and use those. I believe that if a hook breaks while you are crimping down the barb, then that hook was most likely a defective hook and good riddance to it. That is assuming you are not trying to bench press the hook between the jaws of the forceps.

If you need to sharpen your hooks that is the best time to do it, prior to tying the fly.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    I didnt want to hijack the thread on Mustad hooks people there are talking about the sharpest hook.

It seems that when I get done crimping down the barb, I have to sharpen it, no matter what hook I am using. I use a technique of crimping with small non serated needle nose pliers from the point end. (not from the side) I read some where that if you do it this way you break less hooks.

I then automaticly grab the fingernail file and give it a quick touch up in a diamond patern. I guess I would rather know that the hook is sharp than test each one on my thumb nail.

I mostely tie small hooks (size 10 and smaller) is it different with bigger hooks? is there a better way? I know some use there vice but mine is slow to adjust and I would rather use the pliers.

Any comments, hints, techniques?

Eric

Eric,

Why don't you just buy barbless hooks? And I'm not so sure that such small fly hooks really need sharpening.
    Steve

Thumbs up

The reason it was suggested to debarb from the front and not the side was that when you work from the front one of the plier jaws is pressing on the straight, unbarbed, surface of the hook while the other jaw is pressing down on the tip of the barb. In this case there is no stress imposed to the weakest and most vunerable spot on the hook which is at the base of where the slicing cut was made to create the barb. In this case the spot is seeing a "Compressive" force. This weakest spot is a "Stress Concentration" spot. On the other hand, if you pinch the barb from the side there is a chance that you might add a twisting force that could add "Tension" at that weak spot if you try to bend the hook point downward.
    Another suggestion from the old guy. When sharpening, use a ceramic stone, not a diamond emery board and always stroke the hook point from the tip back toward the bend of the hook to eliminate any burrs. (Different folks may have different strokes but these are my thoughts.)

I crimp the barb from the side, not headon. Have only had a few hooks break while fishing over the four years or so that I have been tying.

I've never sharpened a hook, period. And can't remember a time when I thought sharpening a hook would have made any difference to my fishing experience. Actually, since I fish for the "hunt" and the "take" and prefer to have fish get off before I have to handle them, I probably ought to dull the hook before I start fishing !!

Maybe if I were fishing for other than trout, and / or were going to get particularly excited about landing trophy fish, I'd think about sharpening a hook. As it is, it falls in the same category with long and pretty casts, nice gear, and whatever is "the latest."
    The fish are always right.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    I crimp the barb from the side, not headon. Have only had a few hooks break while fishing over the four years or so that I have been tying.

I've never sharpened a hook, period. And can't remember a time when I thought sharpening a hook would have made any difference to my fishing experience. Actually, since I fish for the "hunt" and the "take" and prefer to have fish get off before I have to handle them, I probably ought to dull the hook before I start fishing !!

Maybe if I were fishing for other than trout, and / or were going to get particularly excited about landing trophy fish, I'd think about sharpening a hook. As it is, it falls in the same category with long and pretty casts, nice gear, and whatever is "the latest."
    Sorry, I had to chuckle when you said you prefer to have the fish come off before you have to handle it! I'm just the opposite, I like to land the fish - and I sharpen all of my hooks.

Just a thought though - why not just cut the hook at the bend and then you won't have to worry about landing anything? Or maybe doing some virtual fishing on a Wii or something?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Just a thought though - why not just cut the hook at the bend and then you won't have to worry about landing anything?

I have heard of people who do just that, they have landed enough trout that is is no longer a challenge for them the challenge is getting the fish to rise and take. beyond that it is just more time spent not fishing, so they do cut the hook back. what ever works for them

Eric

Andrew -

I've actually considered fishing with "hookless" flies from time to time, but I do like the feel of the take, which I would miss if there were no hook. There are times when I do want to land a fish - like after a long fight, so I have a chance to revive the fish before releasing it.

Not to hi-jack the thread - but if you were using a "hookless" fly, would it be fishing ??? Like if I was driving through Montana and didn't have a Montana license and I saw this really neat water that I couldn't resist "hunting" on, and I put on a "hookless" fly and started casting about on this neat water and got caught doing that by Fish and Game or the local sherriff, could I be charged with "fishing" without a license ??

John

P.S. What is a Wii ?
    The fish are always right.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    The reason it was suggested to debarb from the front and not the side was that when you work from the front one of the plier jaws is pressing on the straight, unbarbed, surface of the hook while the other jaw is pressing down on the tip of the barb. In this case there is no stress imposed to the weakest and most vunerable spot on the hook which is at the base of where the slicing cut was made to create the barb. In this case the spot is seeing a "Compressive" force. This weakest spot is a "Stress Concentration" spot. On the other hand, if you pinch the barb from the side there is a chance that you might add a twisting force that could add "Tension" at that weak spot if you try to bend the hook point downward.
    Another suggestion from the old guy. When sharpening, use a ceramic stone, not a diamond emery board and always stroke the hook point from the tip back toward the bend of the hook to eliminate any burrs. (Different folks may have different strokes but these are my thoughts.)
    Ray,
    Thanks for the explanation on hook sharpening. I was NEVER sure the proper way to do it until now, & was always a little too embarrassed to ask. You just did this ignorant ol' Irishman a favor!
    Thanks,
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread