The instruction here on the site are excellent. I built my own wrapper for under $10.00. In fact I gave the instruction to another person here and will send you those instruction if you like. Wrapping the guide can be as easy as turning the rod. Tension on the thread is the most important thing. Cork reamers can be as simple as a round file to pieces of a rod with sandpaper glued to it. I bought mine from jans netcraft I believe for $18.00. A good investment. Most of the tools you have for flytieing can be used for rod building. I use the sissors for cutting the thread and a razor blade for getting it flush with the wrap. I do not glue my guides before wrapping but use rubber bands or masking tape to hold them. Yes you can practice wrappping guides on a busted road and will definately help you discover the ideal tension on a guide, what it takes to wrap a guide, getting the thread to lay perfectly side by side, and how to lock in the wrap. One thing I bought for rod wrapping which has definately paid for itself is a laser level for $13.00. Once the guides are spaced where they belong you can check for allinment with the laser level. If you mess something up is it ruined. Not really. I lot of things can be saved and when something happens post it here and I am sure a lot of folks will be able to tell you how to save it.

Buy a kit. H&H has them for under $75.00, J Stockard has them from $52.00 and up depending on what you want. As you continue to build (and you will )you can start buying componants seperately. I have found the better brand name components are nicer to work with.

Guide spacing is a mystery to most but is available in a lot of places on the net. If you are using one of the blanks from J Stockard and you go to rodbuilding resourses they give guide spacings for the different brand of rods. These are very close to perfection and a few here can get you even closer. I have found the difference in factory recomendations and perfection has been at the most a 1/4"

I showed my friends my first rod and was proud of it. By my third rod I was selling them. My best advise is to relax take your time and have fun with it. If you need more help ask here or I can be reached at nightprowler87@hotmail.com, or you can call me at 208-284-2886 and I will be more then happy to answer any question you may have. I am building a 3 weight for my son so as soon as the components come in I will take pics step by step and send them to you if you like. Oh yes while I am thinking about it use graphite arbors instead of masking tape to make the reel seat secure on the rod. Much better system. Good luck and hope this helps BOB