Quote Originally Posted by Saltamontes View Post
I fish a Z-Axis 590 4 piece, and ultimately would love to build a 3 weight. How many attempts did it take you to build a rod you felt was good enough to show fellow flyfishers?
I know, plenty of questions, but, what the heck, better ask first than be sorry later.
Good strategy to ask before acting. I spent three months scouring the Internet, gathering all the information I could about building a rod, and this is the first one I built, which I'm very proud of, in spite of its cosmetic flaws:

And here's the first trout caught on it on a cold February day:

Each one of us had a "first day" experience with everything we have done in life, and I'm sure (except for a few self-proclaimed perfect people) that everyone's first attempt is significantly different than their future attempts. You will get enouragement from people on this site for your final product, and more importantly, for your willingness to step outside your comfort zone and try something new. Just remember, we are here for you whenever you need us.

I have a DVD that I will loan you if you promise to send it back when you are finished with it. Jack Hise loaned it to me for my first build, and I made a copy so I could help other new builders. Just PM your address and I'll get it out to you. Oh, it shows how to build a spinning rod, but it's the same procedure for a fly rod without the butt section of cork on the spinner.

Oh, here's the H&H Tradition II 7'9" 3wt 4-piece which was build #10.

This is a great rod for a bargain price ($65 plus shipping), but it lacks the fancy name of Z-Axis. On the other hand, if you use a rod like this for your first build, you'll still have a great fishing rod even if cosmetically challenged. Then you can spend big bucks to build a name brand late on.

Joe