+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A different way of looking at it

The sad thing is that some would say it's the cup that makes the chocolate worth the drinking. What a shame. Great post, and an often badly needed reminder. Thanks.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

WHAT?!? You mean this $800.00 ZG Helios is not going to catch fish for me?!? Orvis.. I curse the day I breathed your name!
    "Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us."

Default Left brain/right brain

Can't recall which site I was surfing that turned up the following:

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...edName=topNews

http://mr.caltech.edu/media/Press_Releases/PR13091.html

Hope it wasn't FAOL, which would make this post redundant.

Anyhooo - this puts some science underneath what many canny marketeers intuitively know. It's all about positioning. So the lesson I get from these is that liking chocolate logically (what one knows) and preferring the fancy cup (what one feels) are often disparate.

How does this pertain to ffishing for trouts? I'm still working on this relative to dry fly ffishng, but suffice it to say, when 'conditioning' trouts (Charlie's experience), one lobe guides the flight reflex; the other controls the feed urge.

Let's see who connects the dots.....

tl
    les

nighthawk Guest

Fly Goddess,
    That was wonderful and very true. Thank you!

Last Saturday I went to the Auto Show with my Son and my favorite car was this one; http://images.worldcarfans.com/artic...228.013.1M.jpg I admire the 911, but it wouldn't make me happy, because I'm happy with my '93' Dodge Caravan. Happiness isn't conditional on if and when you buy your dream car, it's based on appreciating the little things in life and appreciating what you have.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

Doug, I don't want the 911. It hasn't got enough room for tackle and it would bottom-out on some of the roads that I take to get to fishing spots. How can it be called a "sports car"?

Ed

Fly Goddess:

To get back to your original intent; I got it. What we really want is to cast well in all situations, catch fish and thoroughly revel in the art of fly fishing (as Big Bad Wulff does with his $29 Streamline rod). But, we are constantly inundated with the "industry drivel" that we must obtain a new, more expensive, super-improved rod each year. And, we see our peers on the water with one, and so we have to have one also.

We don't have the presense of mind to observe that they can't cast worth a diddler's damn, change flies every other cast, don't read water at all, etc, etc. But, they have a $750 rod, so that's okay.

Many years ago, when I was newly back from service in southeast Asia and working for a large manufacturer, we belonged to a golf league. I had an average set of clubs and did quite well as I had been introduced to golf in high school (bi-weekly club activities) and took to it quite well. There was this flamboyant, loud-mouthed ethnic fellow that was an Arnold Palmer fan and had AP clubs, clothing, cart, and probably, underware! Then there was a less than flamboyant fellow who had a small, round, rental type golf bag and five mismatched clubs: a driver, putter and a couple of irons. None with the same name and they were beat to s**t.

The story ends thusly; loudmouth Sammy couldn't break 120 strokes with extremely expensive equipment for the mid-60's while junk-bag George had a "7" handicap!!!!

As to lestrout's post on wine, the same applies. I've tasted expensive vintage - mmmmmm, good NyQuil. But, the best I've ever had was a gift bottle from a local merchant who's father-in-law in Sicily makes himself with old wood presses, barrels and home grown grapes. To die for.

So, the $750 cup (rod) will never make the fishing experience (chocolate) any better if you don't have the right perspective (good casting ablilty, basic flies, water reading ability) on the sport (art).

But, dear Goddess, as I've learned in 34 years of law enforcement, there are hard heads that never respond to this hickory night stick! They come back week after week for more.

Oh, and I thank GOD for the wonderful experience of fly fishing and the privelege of communing in HIS creation.

Regards, Jim

+ Reply to Thread