+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help With Teeny Fly Lines

Hybrid View

1. Default

Teeny sink tip lines are great when used for the right application. While I have nymphed with a sink tip and swung it at the end, I don't believe it is nearly as effective as a long leader dead drift technique, especially for a beginner. When you can dead drift without an indicator and set the hook by feel, then try a sink tip.

I am a huge fan of the Royal Wulff Triangle Taper indicator line. It's all i use and I have them in 5, 6, 7 and 8. I'm not on staff either. I paid full retail (it's worth it to outfish your buddies!)

Jon

FlyandTie1: The original Teeny lines were developed for river and estuary fishing for steelhead and salmon as a simplified shooting head application. People them found them useful for saltwater applications. Today Teeny has a wide range of lines for all types of applications.

WCU Boy:

I have been using standard WF floating lines for most of my nymphing for trout. As other have suggested, given your original choices, I would select the nymph line as it will cover most situations. However in some situations I have found sinking lines to be a better tool. These have generally been deeper water situations where it was not practical to get the fly down with a floating line. So in in some situations I have found that a nymph fishing on a sinking line kept taught to detect the strike is the way to go. For these cases, I like a some type of a sink tip line with a floating running line that can be mended immediately after the cast to set up the drift I want. The Teeny T series (24ft sinking head) and Teeny Mini-Tip (5ft sink) tip have been my preferred lines.

+ Reply to Thread