+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life and Fishing

Anyone who ever hooked a steelhead knows there is more to the flyfishing experience than just the strike. However, I agree with all who conveyed that the overall experience of being on the water is the most compelling thing. I love every aspect from reading the water, to releasing a big fish and watching it swim away.

Fly fishing is way too multi-faceted to define it only in terms of strike vesus fight. I Raines book many years ago when it first came out and did not enjoy it. It was a disappointing read considering the great title.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I fish just to fish. I love fishin' with my son, he's the best fishin partner I ever had. I love to hook 'em and watch 'em dance, and I love the feel of the strike. I can never get enough. But, often I just sit on a log and watch my son fish. Watchin his line float out there, and seeing the arc of the rod on his backcast just as it loads, and knowing what he's feelin, and sharing it in the watching. I love being out there in the wonderful world God made for us. I also love tying flies, and building rods, anything with my hands.
    They say it's called fishing, not catching, for a reason. Well, I guess I have to admit, I'm in the middle of a real live midlife crisis about now, and fly fishin, and all that goes with it, and fishin with my son is about all that will even make a dent in it...........One day, after he leaves home, and is off on his own journey, I suppose I too, will usually have God as my fishing partner, That will be great too when it comes........
    ...................ModocDan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    I bought two hardcover books for the cruise we are taking next week, and "Fly Fishing Through a Midlife Crisis" is one of them. I cheated the other evening and read about 20 pages to whet my appetite for the rest of the book, because I heard it was a good read. Well, my wife caught me reading and told me to put it away until I got on the plane, otherwise it would be gone in two evenings, and there was no more room in my suitcase for more books, because so much of HER stuff is in MY suitcase. LOL

Anyway, looks like this will be a good read all around, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Oh, I got mine at Half Price Books for $9.95. Pretty good deal for a hardback in excellent condition. Probably get it online cheaper, but then there's the shipping.

Joe

Joe, what is a kid like you doing reading about mid-life crises for? Have you got a book report due when you get back?

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Joe, what is a kid like you doing reading about mid-life crises for? Have you got a book report due when you get back?

Ed
    I bought it to see what I missed out on during that point in my life. I was to busy to have allow time for another crisis back then. LMAO

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    My wife got me this book when I was going through my quarter-life crisis. I really enjoyed it. It boosted my spirits then, but it couldn't put a dent in the mid-life crisis I'm going through now. Besides, Raines traded wives during his mid-life crisis, and I don't need that kind of influence right now.
    We all go through different crisis in our lives, and most of us come away as stronger, more compassionate individuals. You really need to find a way to get more fishing time in your schedule, it really helps.

It may sound cruel, but some spouses (notice I didn't limit it to gender) need changing, regardless of the type of crisis. I used to say "married for life," but I've witnessed to much of life to hold fast to that any longer.

There's a time for every season under heaven.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I mainly fly fish for the solitude, even in the streams near Buffalo, if yoiu want to bust some shoe leather, you can get that.

That said, I enjoy getting together with my fly buddies for a fish-in or 2. I like the comraderie that they provide and it's an all around hoot. I learn something new each outing.

I head to Canada each spring to fish for pike and walleye with my brother, bro in law, uncle and nephews, because my dad took me each year...life is a bunch of circles!!!

I take my girls out in the boat to fish for bass and walleye each spring and summer. It is time well spent. They can net, bait, drive troll, jig as well as any of my fishing partners. They grow so fast and those days and night are a keepsake, placed onto a memory board.

I tie flies because it is mindless and theraputic, like watching a campfire at night with a cold beer.

Life is indeed good...

I used to think I fished just to be outdoors near rivers, but it really is about catching fish. If you were not catching fish, you would soon tire of the casting. Then, you might as well just take up hiking so you can look around and enjoy all that nature has to offer. Yes, I look around more than I used to. I look at the trees, the plants, the birds, the insects, I watch big billowing clouds build over the mountains. I smell the pines, sage, willows and a wildflower or two. I even sniff in the wiff of range cattle when in those areas. I listen and hear more now: the sound of running water, a bird's song, the wind in the quakies. You can take it all in, but you can do all of that without having a fly rod in your hand. The fly rod adds another dimension. It makes you a predator. You sneak, you watch, you become part of nature as opposed to something out of nature. When you cast, and mend, and set the hook on a fish, you become part of the experience instead of just a spectator. If it wasn't for the aspect of becoming part of nature; a participant, I don't know if it would have the same influence on me. The catching is very important to my experience, I've decided. And the main reason I'm still so passionate about fly fishing.

I've really enjoyed reading this post.

The cycle is complete for me when I hook the trout and feel the fight--even if momentarily. I often throw slack to small fish so that they free themselves from the barbless hooks.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

+ Reply to Thread