+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To weight or not to weight WATERBOATMAN

Interesting thread. I don't weight them. I think that some even to use foam to float them. My pattern is neutrally bouyant as someone else mentioned. Since we are talking about stillwater, I don't find the weighting is that worthwhile - I use the line and technique to change the depth. I will scoot them just under the surface with floating line - especially if they are rising to them. If I want to get them 2-6 feet deep, I will use intermediate line. Deeper than that, I am generally using them under an indicator with floating line. I don't go much deeper than 10' because in nature they don't go deeper than that. There are times when the trout they really love these creatures; and other times when you cannot get a bite. Very early spring and most of the fall around here.

s

Default Boatman

Don't see why this is just about stillwater? My favorite stream data lists waterboatman as one of the 5 bugs that live there.

Anywhooooo.....long time since I saw the show.....can't remember the two guys and a vice....just kiddin'.....can't remember their names.

But as one was tying the waterboatman the other made a comment he had never caught or seen a trout caught on a waterboatman. The tyer said he hadn't either!

Just FYI

Gemrod

Last edited by DShock; 01-10-2008 at 03:27 AM.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemrod View Post
    Don't see why this is just about stillwater? My favorite stream data lists waterboatman as one of the 5 bugs that live there.
    The Junior Member yields to the Senior Member. I never noticed this before - are they going on age or number of posts? I did not think stream fly fisherman actually used them on streams, I haven't even considered that. Have you caught fish on boatman patterns on your stream?

s

Blog Entries

S,
    Number of posts
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Default Boatman

I haven't tried the waterboatman. When I first went to the stream I read the Game & Fish poster which had information on the stream. It listed the bugs that the stream supports. None of my fishing friends had ever mentioned fishing the boatman so I was going to try. I collected some patterns and read Randall Kaufman's info on how to fish the boatman. But when I saw Leroy tying the pattern and him and his co-host stated they had never seen a fish caught on a waterboatman......I kind of put the idea away. Might still try it someday....but for now too many others things to do and try. It didn't sound very promising they way they presented it on their tv show.

I am by no way a senior member. I am old....but a rookie wannabe. Going by experience and knowledge "I" am the kid on the block.

Gemrod

Weighted for stillwaters. During fall migration Boatman falls will resemble a rain shower with Boatmen hitting the water with big "plops". The naturals also dive down immediately after hitting the water and breaking the surface tension, where they are very vulnerable to predation.

Large Trout will feed with wild abandon and absolutely smash your offering, no gentle takes here.

I do carry a few unweighted patterns just in case, but cone-head models are my "go-to".

jon

+ Reply to Thread