I've been tying bass flies over the past few weeks, and my favourite is a simplified version of a sparkle grub. I tie it just like a wooly bugger on a #6 streamer hook, and it's very easy.

Tie in a set of 1/60 oz. (or whatever you wish) nickel plated dumbell eyes near the eye of the hook (you can add wraps of lead wire behind the eyes for extra weight...I usually do). Now, tie in a brown marabou tail with three strands of root beer crystal flash on either side of the tail. Now, tie in a length of root beer estaz, cactus chenille, or whatever the heck it's called, as you would for a wooly bugger. Advance the thread to just behind the hook eye. Wrap the estaz forward, tie off, and whip finish. No need for hackle. By the way, the estaz can be medium or large.

If you're sight fishing for smallies in a river, cast it out in front of a bass, let the fly sink, and work it slowly across the bottom. If it lands anywhere close to a hungry bass, the fish will take it before you have to work it!

This fly catches me a ton of bass every year (I would say hundreds) and I've taken smallies exceeding 21 inches on this fly! I also use it in white and black.

Cheers,
Andrew