+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for wool yarn ?

Hybrid View

Default Re: Source for wool yarn ?

Wapsi has wool, your fly shop can order some.

Blog Entries

Donald, I noticed the Kreinik logo at the top of the screen when I followed your link. Some of those threads are quite good as well. I really like some of their metallics. From what I have seen on the web, I am not the only tyer to discover how useful some of their materials are.

Ed

Smile

Ed,

What did you say Ed?

I don't think trout see too many Black and silver, reds etc but they will probably work well with Warm Water fish.
    The Bluebottle is a succesfull trout catcher.
    Last edited by Donald Nicolson; 12-21-2007 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Needed more explanation.

Blog Entries

Beautiful flies, Donald. I'll have to try those patterns out on our local "bream". Sounds like an important research project and I volunteer to slave away on my local streams to see if these patterns work.

Thanks,
    Ed

Hi Donald,

Hmm, put some peacock herl on for a head on the black and red and that would be very similar to Pritt's Spanish Needle, but more of an attractor pattern with the metalic thread.

As for wool, I agree on the Tapastry yarn. I use DMC and have a great collection of colours.

- Jeff

Ooooohhhh!! Very nice, Donald. I like the Krenick metallics. Especially like the Blue Bottle fly. Nicely dressed.

REE

These are lovely flies Donald, I have been into nicely tied Wee Wets for a wee while now and enjoy them a lot.

What hook do you use? I use a Kamasan B175 size 10 --- is this too big? Should i go smaller and change to a heavier hook?

Jeanne

well i find lots of wool yarn, chenille, silk thread & the like fer tyin flies at a fabric shop nearby called HANCOCK FABRICS.....i can buy as little or as much as i want.......they also sell beads of all types & other stuff.....

9. Default raw wool

Try Tandy leather. They have some nice stuff that is really long, about 8 ", it's off white but I'm sure you can make it any color you like. Best thing is it's really cheap. The wool I got was under 5 bucks and has lasted me over a year allready. Guess that would depend on the amount of flies your tying!....jeff

I was talking to a friend; because you mentioned your wife knits have you tried dying some of her wool yarn. You'd be able to get the quantity you need; and she probably wouldn't miss the amount you took from her skien.

What I do with my wifes yarn is cut some sections in varying lenghths, and then pull it apart. Like a miniature taffy pull. I sometimes mix colors to come up with some really great mixes.

Oh, by the way it is very theraputic after a stressful day.

Jim
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

+ Reply to Thread