+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need suggestions for my first fly rod/reel/line purchase

Default need suggestions for my first fly rod/reel/line purchase

I need some advice/suggestions for a fly fishing setup.

I will be using it to fish for panfish and largemouth and kentucky bass in small rivers/streams and shallow ponds and marshes in southeast Lousiana.

In the past when fishing for bass, I have only used topwater popping-type baits, but I am not limited to that type of bait. If streamers are an attractive type of bait for bass and panfish, I would be interested in using them as well.

I do not necessarily have to purchase a combo-type set and would not be opposed to purchasing each component separately, nor do I specifically need a 2-piece or a pack rod.

I also need some suggestions on the length, action and weight of the rod. I assume a 5 or 6 weight rod is what I need.

I would like to aim for spending $150 for everything, but would not mind spending $200 if the improvement in quality is worth the extra money.

Thanks for the help

bpleas2;
    Take a good look at Cabela's combos. I have a 9' 5 wgt that cost well under $100.00. reel, line, backing and leader. It's caught a lot of Gills!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

I have to agree with Jack. Cabelas has some excellent combos in your price range and they stand by what they sell. You can get on their website and check out their sales and they often have some nice combos there at nice prices. I would go with a 9ft in either the 5wt or 6wt.

Rocky

bpleas2, there are LOTS of decent quality outfits in that price range. Hook and Hackle has some Pflueger and St Croix rods and outfits in that range, and are GREAT to deal with. You can't go wrong with a Cabela's setup either. And BassPro has some really good rods and reels in that price range. Maybe a Classic rod with the HC LA reel for your fresh water pursuits.

Most people start with 8,8.5 or 9ft rods. The best length for you will depend on the type of water, type of brush, mode of access and other factors. Is there anyone you know who flyfishes locally? They could help a lot. A 5 would be nice, a six would be easier with larger flies, but generally will leave you more weary at the end of the day.

I will emphasize though, if at all possible, you might want to cast before you buy........

Jim

bpleas2,

For $99.00 you can get a Redington Crosswater complete outfit. Rod, reel, line, backing and leader is all included and it's a very nice casting rod.

The only thing to consider is that a 5/6 wt rod will be a little light for casting big bass bugs or large streamers. Of course at that price you could get a 5/6 and a 7/8 outfit and still not go over $200.

------------------
    Joe

A good'ole 6wt. would be an al'round choice for what your looking to cover with 1 rod...8 to 9 foot.
    Could go shorter if your thinking of shorter casts or tighter fishing conditions...

If tossing Larger/heavier Bugs such as #2 to #4 Cork Poppers and the like,On a regular basis,I'd consider even a 7wt. Best to be a bit over gunned that under any day...Just some thoughts.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

You really need 2 rods. A 6-8wt for bass and a 2-3wt for the pan fish.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I have a Cabela's 7' 3 wgt and a Cabela's 9' 5 wgt. The total was well under $200.00 including cases!
    I just finished building a 9' 3 wgt. (another option) for about $70.00 from H&H. that would have cost around $300.00 from a well know rod builder.
    Okuma & Phluger make some sweet reels in the $40.00 range.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

bpleas2,
    I recently picked up a W.W. Grigg 4 piece 9 foot 6 weight, that I am very pleased with. It's not what you would call a "Bells and Whistles" rod, but it casts really very well. I found it at Sportsman's Warehouse in Spokane, and retailed for $59. It's the second Grigg rod own. The other is a 6 foot 3 weight that casts like a dream. It will put 60+ feet of line in the air with hardly any effort, and it's price was $29 at the time. They are really pretty nice sticks.

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    -----------------
    Lotech Joe

Since you said you were fishing in LA, I will mention that Academy Sports carries Okuma fly rods and reels. You should be able to get a rod and reel for about $75 total. Then you could get some Scientific Anglers line from them for about $17. That should leave you with just enough for leader, tippet, and backing.

Have fun! That is what this is about after all.

+ Reply to Thread