+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About that 'Mesquite Bean Pod'

Default About that 'Mesquite Bean Pod'

The article, All Natural, tweaked my interest and perhaps that of others as well. I've a question (or 2) about this fly. Jason wrote that one method is to just plunk it into a pod of carp. He was describing lake carp in his area and I was wondering how this fly and technique would work with carp in slow rivers here in the northeast? Our carp are kind of wary and scatter easily. Same technique? What about color? I don't think we have Mesquete trees, or maybe we do.

Thanks

Allan

Milkweed seeds work here,as do cottonwood seeds...Blackberry pattern's seem good in season...had luck in a farm pond with raspberries on it's back edge as well....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Allan, you don't have mesquites up in the northeast, but you surely have other trees and bushes that over-hang the water's edge and drop seeds, blossoms, and fruit into the water. The same principles apply and do work. . . if you're sneaky. On the other hand, let the carp see you and plop something down hard right in the middle of them and you can kiss them goodbye. Good luck!

cottonwood seeds. Slurp.

+ Reply to Thread