+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotary seized up on my Traveler? Anyone else?

Default Rotary seized up on my Traveler? Anyone else?

Hey everyone,

I have a really old Renzetti Traveler. I think I got it back in 1994. Been tying on it all this time and have updated recently to the cam jaws. Yesterday I was tying at the Great Lakes Fly Tying Expo in Mason, MI and late in the day the rotary seized up on me and it would not spin inside the hole through the post. Today I sprayed some WD-40 at both ends of the rotary rod both at the threaded end and on the jaws end as well as I took the little screw out that the post screws onto and sprayed some up in there. After applying the WD-40, with some EXTREME effort, I was able to manhandle about a 1/2 turn of rotary. Anyone else have this happen to them? Anyone have any advice. I believe there's supposed to be a lifetime warranty on all Renzetti's, right? Do you think I'm just gonna have to send it in to them and have them take care of it?

Thanks,

Brinx

Default Re: Rotary seized up on my Traveler? Anyone else?

IF you can get a half turn out of it you may be able to disassemble the rotory stem from the standing stem. First remove the tension adjustment nut, the washer, the rotory handle, and the other washer. Next remove the jaws from the fitting. This just a precautionay step to prevent possiable damage. At that point you may wish to try and sperate the stem from stand post, by wiggling it back and froth while drawing out ward. You may also consider running the rotory stem houseing under hot water to help loosen the parts in removeing them. Be sure to have a couple towles handy for this as aluminum transfers heat realy well. Chances are the parts are either corroided or in the case of alluminum, it may have even galled a bit with a small flake of machine shaveing left behind during assembly. Either way once you have it apart the answer will likely become obvious. A little emery work on the shaft to polish it up and perhaps a dab of silicone line dressing for lube will set things back to right.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

I have to say this is the first time I've heard of a Traveler (or any vise for that matter) seizing up. There's really nothing to go bad there, unless it's been stored in dampness for corrosion to build inside the bearing housing. Let us know what happens. I have one and it's worked flawlessly for the past 7 years.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by qrrfish1
    IF you can get a half turn out of it you may be able to disassemble the rotory stem from the standing stem. First remove the tension adjustment nut, the washer, the rotory handle, and the other washer. Next remove the jaws from the fitting. This just a precautionay step to prevent possiable damage. At that point you may wish to try and sperate the stem from stand post, by wiggling it back and froth while drawing out ward. You may also consider running the rotory stem houseing under hot water to help loosen the parts in removeing them. Be sure to have a couple towles handy for this as aluminum transfers heat realy well. Chances are the parts are either corroided or in the case of alluminum, it may have even galled a bit with a small flake of machine shaveing left behind during assembly. Either way once you have it apart the answer will likely become obvious. A little emery work on the shaft to polish it up and perhaps a dab of silicone line dressing for lube will set things back to right.
    Thank you for the advice. I had already stripped it down to it's bare minimum so that the threads are completely bare on the "handle" (left) side and removed the jaws so there is nothing but the white nylon/plastic (?) disk and aluminmum bushing/spacer (?) on the "jaw" (right) side of the housing the post screws to and the rotary goes through. I removed the screw the post attaches to from this piece as well leaving a hole accessing the inner part of this piece. WD-40 was applied at either end and through the post screw hole as well. This is when I was eventually able to get it to 1/2 turn. I've since applied a little more WD and have let it sit hoping it will continue to loosen whatever may be the problem. Hopefully I'll be able to get the shaft removed and be able to see what the problem is. Unfortunately it hasn't budged yet. I'll keep you posted. Thank you for the insight though, I do greatly appreciate it. It's just baffling to me. I've never heard of anyone with this.

Brinx

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic
    I have to say this is the first time I've heard of a Traveler (or any vise for that matter) seizing up. There's really nothing to go bad there, unless it's been stored in dampness for corrosion to build inside the bearing housing. Let us know what happens. I have one and it's worked flawlessly for the past 7 years.

Joe
    Hey Joe,

It's John Brinkerhuff here. You're right, I've never heard of this either. As far as dampness, I've just had it in the house. Just normal conditions that I'm aware of. It's really puzzling. Maybe its just the effects of having a 15 year old vise.

Thanks for the input and I'll keep you posted.

Brinx

Deezel Guest

I had my Renzetti 'Traveler' sieze up perhaps a dozen years ago. I called the company and at the reps suggestion, sent it in. I'm guessing it was within 2 weeks that I received a vise back. I don't recall what the repair person wrote so I can't say what was replaced exactly. I do recall that he said 'siezing' of the shaft was something he had seen before. However I don't recall that he gave me an explanation for why it happens. Anyway, my advice would be to call the company, explain the situation and seek a solution.

Deezel

Just out of curiosity I took my Traveler apart last night. I noticed that the shaft thru the bearing was coated with lubricant, and that from 7 years of use, the aluminum shaft is being worn down (ever so slightly) by the steel sleeve bearing that it rotates in (lubricant was black). I cleaned it up and applied a small amount of lithium grease to the bearing surface and the o-ring, and will put this piece of equipment on an annual preventive maintenance schedule for a clean & lube. Based on what I have discovered, I would suggest the owners of any rotary vise to check their bearing surfaces periodically for wear, especially if you use the rotary function frequently.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

It might be worth an inquiry to Renzetti to see if the "new and improved" Traveler has any changes to the bearing surfaces or rotary system.

They also offer a partial parts upgrade from an old style Traveler to the new version but I don't know what parts can be swapped and at what cost.

I would contact Renzetti. While I don't own one I have several friends that do and they all tell me that Renzetti has great customer service.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

My traveler did lock up the shaft some time back. I did like others..WD40 and rotate..more oil..more turning. It finally got loose and I found that the grease and metal had hardened over time. Some steel wool and new oil seemed to make it better. So far it still works.

+ Reply to Thread