Bob,

I tried this as an experiment this last season. It came about because I 'broke' my 6 wt. sinking line, leaving me with about 30 feet of it. I wanted to turn it into a shooting head type deal and continue to use it, but I was concerned, since the splice would be continually going through the guides, about a smooth connection.

Rather than try a knot, which would be bulky, I decided to glue it and then cover it with heat shrink tubing.

If it failed, I'd not be out anything but an already ruined line, and if it worked, I'd have a nice little set up without having to find a new line.

I used braided line for the 'running' line (the backing that was already on the rod, not 'ideal' but it was already there). I slid a 1" piece of heat shrink onto the line, then overlapped the fly line and backing about 1/2 inch and added some Zap-A-Gap. I allowed it to cure, then slid the heat shrink over it and carefully heated it until it molded to the lines.

Caugth a couple of hundred trout, and some nice ones, with this, as well as a few pike ad lots of smallmouth over the course of the summer. Tippet strength was a maximum of 3x. Splice held up fine, and slipped through the guides like it wasn't even there.

Just something to consider.

Good Luck!

Buddy