I first tore mine rotator cuff muscles when I had a motorcycle (dirt racing) accident when I was about 21 (yeah, I know I should have known better). I went over the handlebars and hit the ground with my right shoulder taking the brunt of the impact.

Too much racketball didn't help heal it. Then a couple of crashes when I was snow skiing, all where I tumbled and landed on my right shoulder. Age, as well as wear and tear just continued to break it down. The final decision to have the surgery and repair it came when I would roll over at night onto my right side and the sharp pain would wake me up.

The immobile arm/shoulder made it very difficult to sleep, brush my teeth and use TP after nature called (it was my right shoulder and I was predominately right handed). Getting dressed is pretty hard one handd and forget tying shoes! I found that while the pain pills the doctor prescribed helped, over-the-counter pain medicine was strong enough but I got the kind with a sleep aid in it for night time.

I would suggest practice using the hand/arm that won't be in the sling (prior to surgery) so you get use to doing thing with it. Especially if it's your off hand!

Hope this helps and doesn't scare you. Good luck!

Listen to the Doctor and therapist, do the exercises!

Greg